Chapter Fourteen Fun, Fear, Passion

Over the next week we put our plan into motion. I did have to have an interesting conversation with Josh.

“So a vampire,” he said at my locker one morning. Ayden had sauntered off probably because he knew Josh was coming and wanted to give us some privacy. I turned to look at him.

“Yep, I guess so,” I said giving him a small smile. He had some sadness in his eyes.

“I can see why it would have been harder to resist that,” I frowned at him. I knew he meant romantically and his old feelings for me I guess were not so old.

“It certainly through my beliefs out the window,” he continued when he realized he shouldn’t have said that. He took a big breath adjusting his backpack. He smiled at me not really knowing what else to say.

“It did for me too, Josh,” I said.

“Don’t worry Cail I’m ok. I want to help; I’m your friend always. I don’t want you hurt or….dead anymore than Ayden does,” he added confidently thinking I was worried how he was taking the supernatural news.

“Well that’s good. I fear there is worse than Darius out there,” I grabbed my books and shut my locker.

“How is Beth doing?” he asked.

“She’s alright she has no idea which sucks. I think Darius is keeping her that way,” I sighed.

“Well I only see him at her house every other night or so,” he replied.

“Thank you for looking out for her,” he nodded. Things had gotten so serious so quickly. I was beginning to forget what it was to just be a teenager, worrying about dance dresses and jealous boys or friends.

“No problem, see you in class then,” and he strode off. This was all so complicated but I was determined not to let anything happen to Ayden or anyone else I cared about, over this new threat.

We had been cordial and friendly to Darius not too much or he would suspect. Of course he still tried to piss us off or get under our skin but eventually he began to just go with it. He got friendlier and not so much of an ass. He was actually fun to be around when not plotting some evil scheme.

He didn’t know I told Ayden about being his creator yet. He would get angry about that. All in all we tried to deal with his behavior. At first in our plan he would threaten and get angry and we just kept ignoring it. He started to just observe us at first to see if we were being genuine and to see if we were up to something always suspicious that one is. He couldn’t figure it out if we posed a threat or not. Eventually he forgot and that’s when he started to go with it and act normal. At least as normal as a vampire could.

He did seem to enjoy having company and he was softening up. When he noticed he would harden again. I really began to like him as he was decent and funny when not trying to destroy others. He was still awfully stubborn and it was hard not to get angry with him easily. But he had a good side that he kept very well hidden but I saw it and Ayden did too.

Soon the weekend rolled around and my dad wanted to have a BBQ and told me to invite everyone over: Darius, Josh, Beth, and of course Ayden. It was warm for early October so my dad was trying to take advantage of the nice weather while we still could; he had some of his buddies from work over as well.

With the sun out and warm and a cool breeze Beth and I decided to get into our bikinis and sunbathe, mostly to tease our boyfriends with. Josh Darius and Ayden were huddled in the yard playing ball, while my dad and his buddies were cooking discussing how best to set the coals in the BBQ pit. Beth and I got out the lounge chairs and put on our sun tan lotion and sunglasses and began to soak up some vitamin D.