Chapter Nineteen Battle

I woke up Saturday morning with an ominous feeling and awareness in my stomach. I dragged myself into the shower, still had to go about daily routines. Soon as I was presentable for the day, just some casual wear jeans and a tank top, I went down to make breakfast for dad and me.

He was still mad at me but no longer argued with me about the week’s events. My story was Beth, Josh and I were going out tonight to a late movie showing. Though it would only be Josh and not really a movie. I tried to keep my mind clear so I wouldn’t start to let the fear take me and I needed to keep myself busy for that as well.

We ate breakfast making small talk and I got him settled in on the couch. I felt bad since he had been out of sorts a lot with the pain medication. Trying to be nice since I was not sure if I would survive the night or not. There was an afternoon preseason hockey game on so I had planned to watch that with my father for some quality time.

We both were enthusiastic about the game even though it made me a little sad because of the sordid business I had to do tonight and hoped I would be around for the start of the season. I decided to catch up on some school work while we watched. I remembered to take the vitamins that Ayden had given me for the blood loss and absently took them out in front of my father.

“So why did you start taking iron supplements?” my asked from across the couch and I tried to look casual about it.

“I started feeling a little anemic the last couple of weeks and the school nurse suggested it,” I supplied randomly off the top of my head hoping it was believable but he took it to a whole other conclusion.

“Ok just making sure you are not pregnant or anything,” I raised my eyebrows and almost joked on the soda I was washing the pills down with.

“Dad!” I exclaimed.

“Cail, I was a teenager once you know too,” was all he said amused. I flushed bright red and went back to doing my school work. Parents were so annoying sometimes, and the fact that he was aware that I was intimate with Ayden embarrassed me. I know my dad means well just was not expecting that. I certainly was not discussing my sex life with my father.

I was trying to keep busy it was hard with the upcoming events. Would it even work? I just had to stay positive and calm. I worked hard on my homework to keep my mind busy; if I didn’t get an A on this assignment I would be pissed.

Eventually the hockey game came to an end and it was a good one 5 to 4 Detroit. That would be the Detroit Red Wings my favorite hockey team. I looked forward to the start of the hockey season.

“I am going to get ready now for the movie,” I announced.

“Ok I’ll be here,” he joked since he wasn’t going to be moving much. Smiling I went back up to my room. There really wasn’t much to get ready for but I had to look as if I was going out with friends. Worried that Ayden could have gotten a glimpse of my plan from my mind, but I figured if he had he wasn’t saying anything. I found something to wear that looked a bit more movie going and did some make-up lightly.

I sat at my vanity and brushed my long brown hair. Looking at my own reflection and my green eyes, the sadness seemed to have gone from my face, and it made me smile. Even on this scary evening that could end us all, I felt I had finally become happy and gotten over my mother’s death. I went down memory lane for a few minutes. Though it had only been six weeks ago the first day I met Ayden (sort of), I was at this vanity thinking similar thoughts. I felt if it was my fate to die I had accomplished something personal for myself after years of feeling empty.

I heard a small thud and turned towards my window. The sun was just beginning to set and it made the two vampires standing there glow from the sunset’s bright colors orange, red and purple, bringing out both of their handsomest features. Darius and Ayden both coming to make sure I was ready; I smiled at the both of them.