Ch 30: Command of the Fleet

Mir'kadi, Eighteenth of Sund'im, 445 A'A'diel

The Strommarch of Thyra sat at the edge of his bed watching the Marchess pace. Eva glided through the pools of moonlight that spilled through the blue and yellow honeycomb panes of their bedchamber with ephemeral grace. Her skirts trailed over the flagstones silent as a shadow. Dyed black with ice beetle wings, the woolen dress that she wore hugged her curves as elegantly as the finest silk.

His people believed that the bosom could ache for an eternity beneath diamonds, yet rejoice at the touch of wool. The rich and the poor in Thromm mourned equally—a custom that Rhiess admired. Yet despite his woolen attire, his heart remained heavy.

Rhiess mourned his father from a sense of duty rather than loss. Tan'os had shown him little favor, preferring instead to dote on his half-sister. He had always lived in his father's shadow, working tirelessly for the interests of a city who only recognized one name: Tan'os Ensther.

Rhiess was not bitter. Whatever shortcomings Tan'os possessed as a parent, he had compensated with a talent for leading men and his passion for commerce. His father had used his position as Vise of Reyza to negotiate favorable trade agreements and treaties that had enabled Thyra to thrive.

As a result of Tan'os' acumen, the Port of Thyra had grown from a forgotten harbor to a burgeoning cultural center. The resultant renaissance had inspired artists, sages, and mathematicians to migrate north and settle in Rhiess' court. If relations with Reyza remained stable, Thyra might one day rise to join the ranks of Terranakis and A'diel as an important hub of world commerce.

Rhiess lifted his eyes to gaze upon his wife. The arranged marriage to Eva Iarris had been one of his father's political machinations. Surprisingly, the petite Vendraedi woman whom he had been saddled with had been his father's greatest gift. His love for his wife was a beacon that shone even in the darkest nights.

Rhiess buttoned his cassock slowly. "Tonight, we dine as paupers, poorer for the loss of my father."

Eva stopped pacing. "The only gratitude I owe Tan'os is that he brought us together. Tonight, I mourn only for your loss."

Rhiess smiled a mirthless smile. "By all means, speak your mind, wife."

Eva crossed her arms. "Have I ever done anything other?"

"Never," replied Rhiess. "Your honesty is one of your most endearing qualities. What did you and Gøran speak about today?"

Eva fixed her gaze on her husband. "Don't tell me Gøran still bothers you after all these years?"

Rhiess stood, smoothing the dark sleeves of his vestment. "He would bother me, dear wife, if I thought you still had feelings for him."

Eva motioned to the circular mirror that faced their bed. "Gaze upon yourself in the looking glass and be reassured, husband."

Rhiess stood and faced the mirror. "If it is my good looks and my youth that keep you loyal, I fear I must worry, for both those qualities will fade."

Eva walked behind her husband and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Look at us," she said, peeking around his arm to gaze into the age-spotted glass, "we are not of this world. It has no bearing on us because we are happy. It's true," she said, pressing her cheek against his back, "you were not the first between my legs, but you and my children are the joy of my life."

Rhiess stared into the mirror. His hair was long, nearly as long as his wife's and his eyes were of a gray color that changed with the seasons. He and Eva made a handsome pair. He stroked his wife's arm, content in the knowledge that whatever happened between Reyza and Thromm would not diminish the affection between them. "You are right, as usual."