twenty one

"Glare all you want, but I've saved your life twice."

•••••••••

Sam Wellington just wanted to get his math homework.
He just wanted to pet a dog.
He just wanted to eat a burger.
He just wanted a slice of cake.
He just wanted to dive.

Thank god Connor didn't let him.

(boyxboy)(soulmateAU)

"Listen," the man in the mask said as he covered the boys mouth with his hand, "I don't want to have to use it." He waved his gun in the air and pointed it back at the blonde boy.

"I-I...I'm sorry! I don't have a wallet! I'm broke, dude!" The boy yelled as he tried to get out of the man's reach.

"Well, I'm sorry then." The masked man cocked the gun, lining the sights up with his eyes and preparing to shoot.

"Woah, woah! You said you didn't want to use it!" The blonde boy cried out, panic rising evidently in his eyes.

"Desperate times. I can't risk you tattling on me."

"I don't even know what you look like!" The boy cried out. "Please, don't-" The sound of a gunshot went off and the boy crumpled to the ground, lifeless.

"No!" I sat up in bed sweating as the sound of the shot echoed in my ear. Taking in my surroundings, I realized where I was: in my room, safe and sound.

Who was the boy from the dream? I racked my mind as hard as I could before accepting the fact that I had never seen him in my life.

Weird, I thought before glancing over at my clock. It was 6:21, and my alarm was set for 6:30. Good timing.

I got dressed, ate breakfast, and brushed my teeth quickly and was ready to leave in record time: at 7:21. I usually left at 7:45, but what the hell? Today felt important, so I walked to school early.

"Hey, man." My friend Rio slapped me on the back as I sat down at a table in the cafeteria. "There's someone I want you to meet today, he'll be here soon."

"Alright." I smiled, setting my bag down and taking a sip from my water bottle.

"Someone's in a really good mood." Ronan said as he took a seat across from me. "Hey, guess what? My brother turns 21 today. He can finally drink, and he hasn't stopped talking about it..."

I slowly zoned him out as my smile flickered. That was, like, the third time I'd heard the number 21 today. Weird.

"Neat."

"Guys, I'd like you to meet my cousin, Sam." Rio announced to the table.

Heads turned, people smiled, my heart stopped.

Standing right in front of me, alive, was the blonde boy from my dream.

"What?" I gasped loudly.

Everyone at the table looked at me like I had two heads.

"I'm sorry, but I've definitely seen you before." I laughed nervously.

"Okay." He nodded back, looking at Rio strangely.

"Introduce yourselves." Rio ordered, waving his hands at us.

"I-I'm Connor." I stuttered, unable to get the image of his falling to the floor dead out of my mind.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked me. "You seem kinda off."

"What time is it?" Ronan asked as he stared at his phone.