New Roads! Author's Note 1

I was asked to further explain several points in the game system so I'm making this Author's Note.

Bear with me, please.

Jobs:

•A job is an official role you have in the game. The most common ones are Warrior, Archer, Mage, Thief, and Adventurer.

More specific Jobs like Knight, Ranger, Priest, Assassin, and Explorator can be obtained either by completing a Job Promotion Quests or by directly choosing them as your Job.

•Not everyone can choose any type of Job. You need to possess the appropriate Skills to choose a certain Jobs. For example, a player who wishes to become a Warrior will need at least a Combat Skill/Ability related to blades or blunt weapons as their Primary Skill and another one in its Secondaries; and Thief wannabe will need to learn about stealth or camouflage.

•A Manthor (mentor) is an NPC who has agreed to counsel you during your Job choice. Manthors (mentors) often given access to Jobs that Players had no knowledge of. To obtain a Manthor (mentor) you need to rise your familiarity to at least 80% with the concerned NPC and accomplish a series of tasks. Often those tasks are not given to you as proper quests but suggestions.

Once you have chosen a Job a Job Skill will be given to you.

It is a skill that you do not yet possess and can be Active or Passive, Defensive, Offensive.

It will not be affected by the Experience Absorption Penalty and can be considered as a second Primary Skill/Ability.

Skills and Abilities:

Skills and Abilities, whether they are passive or active, are competencies that the player learns throughout the game.

The more you use them the more efficient you become at them.

There is a lot of skills/abilities, many complete each other. Once you learn a set of skills or reach a certain level of experience within them, they might give you access to a new skill/ability or merge into one.

For example:

•A player had learned the Skills Hand to Hand Combat and Swordsmanship. Once they both reach Beginner 7 they will both merge into Sword-Hand-Combat-Art Beginner 5.

•A player has learned Nature's Growth, Butcher's Touch, Herborism, Mining, and Fishing. Because those are all the looting related skills/ability they will merge into the Throughout Looting skill/ability.

The merging of skills/abilities is useful as it can free secondaries and primaries skills/ability.

Merged skills/abilities are not affected by the Experience Absorption Penalties of secondaries and tertiaries skills/abilities.

Primary, Secondary and Tertiary:

Skills and Abilities are divided into three categories.

•Each player has the right to 1 Primary Skill/Ability which receives 100% of its gained experience. When you select your Primary Skill you will receive 10 extra points for each character Stats.

•There are 3 slots available for Secondary skills/abilities. Secondaries have a 15% penalty on Experience Absorption. When you select a Secondary skill/ability you will receive 5 extra points for each character stats.

Players who received the Golden Pack have been given an extra Secondary Skill/Ability slot.

•The number is skills/abilities available as tertiaries is unlimited but sustains a 20% Experience Absorption Penalty.

When skills/abilities merge, skill/ability slots are emptied.

Skills/abilities obtained through merging are not affected by the Experience Absorption Penalty.

The possession of certain skills/abilities will stop you from learning some skills/abilities or obtain Jobs.

The lack of certain skills/abilities will stop you from having access to other skills/abilities, Jobs or from being able to use skills/abilities specialized objects/equipment.

New Roads Monetary System:

1 bronze coin = 1 apple, bread/loaf, carrot, paper, quill, paper roll, city shoes (aka thick woolen socks)

200 bronze coins = 1 silver coin

500 silver coins = 1 gold coin

1 bronze lingot = 100 bronze coins

1 silver lingot = 300 silver coins

1 gold lingot = 200 gold coins

The Time System

20 minutes in Real Life = 1 hour in virtual reality

1 hour in Real Life = 3 hours in virtual reality

4 hour in Real Life = 1 day in Virtual Reality

1 day in Real Life = 6 days in virtual reality

An avatar has to eat and drink at least every 8 hours in Virtual Reality time.

An avatar has to sleep at least 4 hours per days in Virtual Reality time, meaning that every real life 3 hours players will have to disconnect from the game for 1 real-life hour. This is a precaution taken by RetroGame Corporation to prevent players from totally shutting themselves from reality and forgetting to take care of their real bodies.

The Map:

•By reading or hearing of a place, geographic feature, it will be approximately marked on your map.

•By being indicated or seeing from afar a location it will be precisely marked on your map along with the informant knowledge of the subject.

•By discovering/visiting a place during your travels it's location will be set precisely on the map along with a multitude of other features related to it.

The Journal:

A notebook bought by the player that organizes knowledge on its own.

It can draw knowledge from your readings, what you experience yourself or see being done.

A journal is automatically divided into sections:

•The quests' log section keeps track of your completed and ongoing quests and the rewards and costs of the quests. It is completed with a Road Map showing your travels since the obtention of the journal.

•The historical section provides a historical description of each known Kingdom, their past and present Lords and Kings, their marking icons, places and moments in New Roads! World History.

•The Bestiary contains a sometimes pictured, description of every monster you cross or read about. The more you interact with the given beast the more you will know about it.

It also contains pieces of information about the many intelligent races of the game.

•The herbarium contains drawings and description of New Roads! Flora. Since many parts of plants (roots, leaves, and seeds) can be used in cooking, brewing, cataplasms, and potions there is also a description of their effects. The more you know about brewing the more complete those information are.

•The farmer's log is a list of edible goods. They are presented with a description and a general location you can obtain them. The more you know about cooking the more complete those information are.

•The fisherman's log is a list of sea edibles completed with a description and a general location to obtain them. The more you know about the sea and fishing the more complete those indications are.

•The artisan's log is a list of items artisans can produce or uses through their crafts and a description of those. The more you know about craftsmanship the more complete the list and information.

•The traveler's guide is a list of items such as tents, cantines (canteen) and exploration material and their descriptions.

•The weaponry is a documented list of weapons available in New Roads!, the descriptions and origins of conception are available for Unique Weapons or those with historical value.

•The communication log is a repertory of the NPCs you have meet, when, where and in which circumstances. If your familiarity is high enough you will also have access to a small personnel summary of their lives. You can now organize the list by Name, Location, Familiarity, Fame or Chronology.