New Roads! Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Preparing and Going Back

As the battle came to the end, the others came back out. Some of the men had taken a few arrows and needed to be bandaged. One of the pikemen had died, an arrow planted in his heart.

I had received an arrow in the leg, chipping away a part of my health. I bandaged it and started directing my men.

I stationed my unit in the open ceiling room, placed another at the top of the wall and sent the last two further into the forest, to check if there was any more guards and sentinels.

One man came back a few minutes later, announcing that the entry was hidden by an arch of trees, stones, and vines. There had also been two-footed bandits and three sentinel platforms.

All of those had been taken care of.

The units were now waiting to see if there was any patrols left.

I didn't worry for them as patrolling bandits would be paying attention to people coming from the exterior of the ruins not within.

We gathered the dead bandits' weapons and equipment and waited for the messengers to relay our success and come back with more orders.

I was examining the platform lift when Beok entered the external room. His mage robes were covered in dirt and blood but the smile on his face told me that the mission had been a success.

"Ah, here you are! I am pleased to announce to you that the operation was a total success. The totality of the thieves were taken care of, the stolen treasure has been recovered and the many loots will please the Lord!"

"Happy to hear it."

"In fact, there is so many things to bring back that  we will have to do several travels!"

"What? That's not a good idea! The minute we will be back in Djaden swarms of people will come to hear and loot the place!"

"Do you think so?"

"Of course! We cannot leave anything behind! Not as long as it can be useful to the Lords or the Guards!"

"I understand what you mean but we simply do not  have the transporting capacity to do so."

"What about chariots in the stables? Do you think we could use them?"

I was not leaving anything for other players.  We still had five days before the first ones arrived at the Ruins.

"We could but it would take time..."

"So let us take it."

Beok took the time to think about it then agreed.

"I will find a way to arrange it with Serena."

"Who?"

"Captain Miller."

"Ho! So that's her name."

The next days were spent inventorying everything we found in the ruins and the bandit fortified camp and putting the ten trailers back in usable shapes.

As soon as one of them was repaired it was loaded with treasures.

Three wagons were filled with the many art pieces and precious equipment's, another with the hundreds of weapons. The last one was left empty, to be used by the wounded during the trip back.

Two trailers were filled with all the food supplies they had found, there was more than enough for the trip back. The second was packed full of wine and water barrels. It turned out the outlaws had a sweet tooth for good alcohol.