New Roads! Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Infiltrating the Ruins

The horizon was brightening above the treetops.

My men and I were waiting for the signal to start the attack.

From the cover of the trees, an arrow was shot into one of the enemies archers' throat.

Before he hit the floor five other projectiles were cutting through the air, taking the life of the remaining guards. My group and another one went through the tree lines and carried the bodies away, adding them to those of the sentinels.

They lightly opened the door. Looking inside I saw two other guards, nodding off. Looking at my men I raised two fingers and mimicked being asleep.

Weapons at the ready, I flung the door open and entered the long corridor. With my knife under his throat, I pulled him out in the open air. Nathan had done the same for the second guard. Landell closed the door again.

Our brusque handling of them had woken the two guards but our hands on their mouths and the blade pressing on their throat keep them quiet. We pulled them under the trees showed them their dead companions then only I spoke to the two of them.

"I am gonna ask you guys a few questions, if you answer them truthfully we will not kill you, if you don't, you will end up like your colleagues here present. Understood?"

The men nodded clearly frightened by him and his cordial smile.

"Good. Then here is my first question: where is your armory located?"

The bandits looked at each other none of them wanting to start rattling on their friends.

"I understand there is an honor code between criminals but I would recommend you to talk now  or I will have to make you through less civilized means."

I kept smiling knowing fully that they would not know what to think of my smile. Still, they said nothing. Quite upset it was taking this long I took one of the man's hand and pulled his finger until it cracked. When I released it, it was standing in an unnatural angle.

The man's pain cries were muffled by Landell's hand covering his mouth.

"Again, where is the armory?"

The man hooded by Nathan tried to talk and I made a sign to him to release the man's mouth.

"Th-the Armory is down the corridor third door to the right."

"I see... what about the food storage?"

"One is two doors left from here, another one is next behind the dining hall and the third..."

"Keep talking or I do his next finger."

The last is at the end of the left corridor, just before where the roof has tumbled!"

"Your map has been updated. You can now see where the small food storage and the large open ceiling farm room is."

Only half of the places he gave me were added to my map, which meant that...

"You lied to me."

I felt the man in my grip shudder and saw the other captive pale.

"What is waiting for us at the third door on the right?"

"I don't know what you are talking about..."

I broke another finger. I was still politely smiling.

"Do not make me repeat myself."

The main sleeping quarters! I tried to send you to the main sleeping quarters!"

"I see. That's okay. I forgive you."