New Roads! Chapter 6.7: The Southern Clearing

Okay I admit, I enjoyed writing that last chapter.
Here is another one!
Have fun!

Chapter 6.7: The Southern Clearing

The sun was rising above the Southern Bandit camp. Inside their huts, the outlaws were sleeping, unaware that twenty men were nearing their hideout. The Expedition men were all wearing dark green, brown clothes or black clothes and have covered every inch of their visible skin with colored oils of the same colors. A weird but brilliant idea from that strange cook of theirs.

The shadow men passed through the trees unseen. Archers climbed on trees with platforms, where they silently planted an arrow in the lookout's neck side while covering his mouth with their second hand. A few convulsions later they laid the lifeless bodies down.

Back on the ground their sword companions still marched on. Each time they saw a patrol they would plunge their knife in the outlaw's throat, twists the blade to accelerate their death and abandoned the bodies behind. When they left the cover of the tree lines, a few arrows were shot from the platforms. Some struck the fireplaces, others went through the wooden hut's roof.

White smoke started spreading from where the projectiles had hit. The shadow men on the floor covered their bottom faces with wet clothes and carried on walking.

They took care of the men still sleeping around the fires then entered the huts one at a time.

By the time the smoke cleared only the shadow men remained breathing.

Not a single bandit had stirred from their sleep.