New Roads! Chapter 6

WritteraAddicted: Here is a pic of what the Bandit loot chief looks like!

Chapter 6: Playing spies, playing tacticians...

From the reaction of the players they had all received the quest upgrade, Captain Miller was directing her troops against the encircling and enraged bandits. Once the archers were taken care of the warriors formed a three level line and marched onto the enemies location. Often players would break rank to chase a fleeing outlaw or finish off one of the NPCs' marks.

In just a battle they threw away the familiarity they had earned with the soldiers.

What a waste!

Every time I would see a soldier in difficulty I would jump in and deal with the bandit swiftly.

Since I had killed their leader many if they were gunning for me either to avenge their Chief or gain Notoriety.

The result was that I had no problem finding an adversary. When twenty of their men died the outlaws finally realized they were being defeated and scattered away.

We all took a moment to gather ourselves, heal the wounded and catch our breath. The trailer's driver has taken an arrow in the shoulder so the mullet boys and I would have to take over his duties on the way back.  Still, the man insisted on riding in the front. The Outlaw Thief cadaver was wrapped in a tent and attached on a mullet back: it was proof that we had done our work.

We set up the camp for the rest of the evening and were divided into teams of five each was entrusted with an area of the forest.

The Captain, the Mage Officer, the non-combatant and myself were in the group that would protect the wagon.

Of course.

I was about to protest when the black skinned mage took me apart.

"Who are you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play with me Varrant, no simple Cook moves like you do!"

"Oh, that! Teacher kinda showed me a few times but this is the first I used them in a real battle."

While would explain why I got the skill just now...

"Teacher?"

"Kaden from the Training Hall."

"Wait, you are Kaden's pupil?"

"Yes."

"...I see."

Somehow the mention of the Training Hall Master seemed to calm him. Was there a story behind it? I would have to look further.

"But if you are, what are you doing posing as a cook?"

"I am a cook! I just also happen to be learning how to fight for future plans, that's all."

"Plans?"

"Yes. I wish to travel the world, discover new places, meet new people, learn of their stories and cultures..."

"You wish to become an adventurer?"

"I don't know. It seems a bit...boring to me."

"An explorer, then?"

"Carving my way yo celebrity and wealth in blood isn't really agreeable to my morals."

"Celebrity and wealth, hmm?"

"Who doesn't dream of those!"

"Indeed."

There was a moment of silence while he was looking at me, thinking.

"You have a gift with people, are hard working, knows how to manage goods, want to travel to many places... Say, you wouldn't be interested in becoming a Merchant by any chance?"