Chapter Seventeen

Newt sat in the demiguise's habitat, sketching the murtlap in his notebook. He found it peaceful, both the habitat and the sketching, despite the fact that he believed himself to be a bit bad at it. Newt felt safest and the most at peace alone in the middle of his case. The moment he saw Tina coming, he closed the notebook and gave her a friendly grin as she approached him.

"I was just... looking for you," Tina admitted with an awkward demeanor. She rocked back and forth on her heels, unsure of what to do or say. She admired the sounds of the case and the magically controlled breeze creating waves of air that brushed her hair in different directions. She watched Dougal intently as he looked over Newt's shoulder, a pout on his face as he could no longer watch his caretaker scribble odd symbols he didn't understand on the weathered paper.

"It's alright, I was just finishing up a quick fix of my manuscript. I've found out so much more about my creatures that my manuscript needs to be republished with the added information. That's what my publisher wants at least, and I suppose more information doesn't hurt. He was thinking we could add illustrations, and while I don't think I'm a terrible artist, I'm not too good at drawing the intricate details my creatures contain. No worries, I'm sure I'll find someone before the new draft is due. That, or my publisher will."

Tina pondered this for a moment, thinking about suggesting herself as the illustrator. It was a rather broad request, and it seemed intrusive, and he probably wouldn't want her to anyway. But her curiosity stood. "Maybe... maybe I could help?" She moved to take a seat beside Newt on a stool that laid near his desk, leaning toward him. "I don't think I'm too great, honestly, but maybe it's worth a shot..." Halfway through her offer, she stopped, her self-doubt getting the best of her.

"Tina I... I'd love that, honestly," Newt said, touched by her offering. Having Tina become an integral part of his book was something he'd dreamed of but never thought of offering her, because he didn't know how she'd react. He imagined the new publication, fresh ink broadcasting her beautiful drawings, highlighting the unique characteristics of his beloved creatures. Her name would be pressed in leather beside his, and their partnership would be shown to the world. Newt smiled at her, standing from his bench and taking her hands into his. "I've been hoping you'd offer a contribution to my book. Your art would be beautiful to include," He told her, and Tina bit her lip and looked away before standing up and reaching his eye level.

"I'm glad I could make you happy," Tina replied, grinning at her partner. He squeezed her hands. Ever since the night after the wedding, there was a tenderness in their every action. Both of them recognized the promise that came with it. In Newt's promise of making Tina an honest woman, he'd solidified a future for both of them. She'd blossomed like a flower for him, opening herself like no one ever had. Newt opened himself to her, revealing his most intimate of thoughts. Though Tina hadn't told him she loved him back, the actions of that night spoke for it.

"You always make me happy," Newt said, gingerly running a finger across her lips before pressing his against hers. It was a chaste, quick kiss, but it held the same excitement and lovely feeling as all of their kisses. "Even when you barge into my case," He joked, picking her up and spinning her, causing Tina to laugh loudly before he set her down. "It's always a wonderful surprise, seeing you when I least expect it."

"I'll have to surprise you more often," She chuckled, pulling Newt's arms with her hands. Dougal was still upset at the notebook being closed abruptly, so he grunted and pointed toward the book, prompting the couple to look in his direction with raised eyebrows. He was perched on a branch above the desk, and his arm hung low before he disappeared, appearing on top of the table with the notebook in his hands a few moments later.

Newt realized what the creature meant and groaned, "Dougal, you toilsome creature." Newt reluctantly let go of Tina's hands and sat back on the bench, patting the spot next to him. "I guess this gives us the opportunity to decide which entries need illustrations," He suggested, and Tina agreed with him. He flipped through the ink stained, frail pages, passing messy handwriting and scribbled entries, a few doodles along the margins. Newt pulled out a thick stack of parchment from a tabletop holder and placed them in front of Tina along with a quill. "You can start sketching, if you want. I've still got a few pages to update."