Chapter Twenty Two

It took only a few moments for Tina to arrive back at the estate. A few long, annoying moments, but she was there quickly - and safely - nonetheless, the shrunken head screaming as the bus took off into the black abyss of night, leaving her alone in front of the large home that light emitted from, breaking the darkness apart. The light in the darkness of her life. Tina winced at that thought, trying to rid any thought of Newt from her mind, despite the fact she was entering his home. Figures.

Swiftly, Tina walked up the cobblestone path leading to the front entrance, holding her gray jacket close to her body, work case in hand. Her boot stumbled on a loose pebble, startling the rocks around it. She couldn't help but wince at the sound, wanting nothing but to disappear and hide from the shame that followed her every step that led to the Scamander estate.

At last, Tina reached the door, her hand shaking above the handle. "Bowtruckle," she whispered, the lock clicking inside the door as the knob gave way, opening as Tina pushed through the door. Since the attacks on the ministry, the Scamanders had elevated the security of their estate, doing anything and everything to protect the family from the grapples of Grindelwald and his followers.

The door opened to the grand entryway of the estate, and she was surprised not to see Newt's mother waiting at the door. Most nights, much like Newt, Flora would wait anxiously for Tina to arrive home. She was a welcome presence of course because, unlike Newt, Flora provided her a moment of space to breathe before asking her for the day. Not that Newt wasn't welcome, it just... was painful to be around him after everything that had happened.

Tina heard muttering coming from the dining room and decided to investigate. It wasn't usual for Flora to not be standing at the door, especially on a night when Tina was a bit late. Then again, Newt had been visiting her, so perhaps Flora's worries had been mended by her son's taking care of Tina. Newt had arrived home before her, so it made sense to Tina that that may be a reason. Still, she typically found comfort in Flora waiting for her.

Tina removed her coat and levitated it to a hanging rack, doing her best to ignore Newt's matching jacket hanging on the hook adjacent to hers. Slowly, she walked toward the doors leading to the dining room, one slightly cracked.

"Son, it won't be forever. Give her the letter. But... she made her choice for a reason. She wants you to be safe and I don't blame her. Grindel- He will look for any excuse, anything, to hurt you. To get you to obey him," came Flora's voice quietly. She seemed to sense Tina waiting at the door, or perhaps it was Tina stumbling on the door itself and nearly falling into the room. Both parties straightened then, though Newt was still somehow hunched over, holding a piece of parchment in his hand that he quickly covered. "Oh, good, you're home," Flora observed, immediately standing up. Newt stood up as well, but Flora subtly pointed for him to get back in the chair. He obliged.

"Hi," Tina said awkwardly. "I'm sorry if I'm interrupting something, I just wanted to"

"No, no dear," Flora interrupted with a large smile. "Newt and I were just chatting. He has something to give you." She walked toward Tina and wrapped her in a giant hug, something Tina returned, although hesitantly. "I'll be off," Flora said, and she walked out of the dining room and up the steps.

Tina stood silently, fiddling with her fingers as she waited for Newt to speak. He sat quietly, blowing air in and out of his cheeks and playing with the parchment paper he had unhidden, begrudgingly, from his shirt pocket. Tina realized she would have to be the first to speak, or this game of silence would last all night. Curiously, she chirped up, "What's that?" and nudged her head toward the piece of paper.

Newt sighed and looked as if he were pained. "It's um, it's a letter," He explained, still not moving to face her. He cleared his throat after a long moment. "For... you," he struggled to get out. "It's not very long, it's more of a note rather, but I just felt as if I weren't being honest with you and I know how much you value honesty, and... well, now I've overdone it."