Chapter Fourteen

Tina awoke, the sun barely rising over the clear sky. She stretched her limbs over the long, grand bed, yawning before she swung her legs over the side of the bed and slipped her slippers on. There was a robe hanging on the side of the headboard, and she put it on, tying the belt around her waist before approaching the mirror. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Tina observed herself, trying to figure out how to style her hair and makeup for the wedding. There was already a gown drawn for her, a long, silky dress made out of light blue fabric, and it hung from the door of the closet on the left side of the room. Tina eyed it in the mirror carefully. She knew she wouldn't be seeing anyone until the start of the wedding, as Newt and Theseus were together, Newt being the best man, and Leta and Flora being together, Flora helping Leta get ready and walking her down the aisle, so she was to be the judge of how it looked and how to style around it. Sighing, as she wasn't any good with hair and makeup, Tina roamed to the bathroom, brushing her teeth and splashing her face in cold water to wash the sleep away. The water did some good in bringing the color back to her face and waking her up a bit more, but her hair was what she'd have an issue with. A small part in the back stood up, though she figured she'd be able to fix that with a slight spell. Silently, Tina tip-toed back down the hall. She passed by Newt's bedroom as she walked back to her own. His door was cracked open, and she could hear him softly snoring, oblivious to the day's beginning. Tina smiled to herself before shutting his door fully, careful not to make a sound. She continued down the length of the hallway until she reached her room, silently creeping in before shutting the door. Tina turned back to the mirror, brushing through her hair with her fingertips. She then took a comb to the piece that stuck up and was able to make it decently flat, though she did cast one of the charms Queenie had written on a list for her. There was also a charm used to curl your hair, and Tina took a shot at that, watching the tendrils twist and coil themselves into effortlessly beautiful waves. Not so hard, she thought to herself. The spell softened her hair, too, so when she pressed a section between her fingers, it felt smooth to the touch. She paused briefly, remembering when Newt had touched her hair like this so many moons ago. That touch had come with a promise, one he'd fulfilled multiple times.

Tina rummaged through a small parcel shed brought along with her that contained the few makeup pieces she owned. First, she dusted a bit of powder over her face, lightening her cheeks with a hint of rouge afterward. Then, she dragged her spool through the small tub of black liquid and ran it through her lashes. Unscrewing the top of her lipstick, she applied a deep shade of red to her lips. Finally, she cast a charm that solidified her makeup for the entirety of the day. Tina glanced at herself in the mirror, hardly recognizing the woman she saw. She attached a brooch to her hair for good measure.

Walking toward the closet, Tina reached for the silk dress. It was soft to the touch, and she ran her fingers through the delicate fabric multiple times before removing it off the hanger and gently setting it on the bed. Tina slipped off her night clothes, careful to fold them and leave them on the bed for cleaning. Next, she held the dress up and observed it closely. The fabric was loose, but form fitting, so it would accentuate her curves. Not that Tina minded, as her breasts were rather small. Carefully, Tina levitated the dress and put it on, lifting the skirt before stepping into silver heels Queenie had provided her. Gaining her balance, Tina strode over to the mirror once more.

For the first time in her life, she felt beautiful.

Tina was half-excited, half-nervous to see Newt later in the day. He would be at the front of the service, serving as Theseus' best man, so she wouldn't be seeing him until reception. Tina would simply admire him from the seats until they were able to meet each other fully. Perhaps she would catch his eye. She flushed at the thought, picking up her wand and sliding it down a hidden pocket in her dress. As an auror, she had to be cautious.