Chapter Nineteen

Tina cradled a kneazle in her arms, carrying it around the small kitchen while she sang a lullaby. Her hand traced the cool marble of the counter, small pieces of sugar sticking to her fingers. Queenie was always the cleaner, however she hadn't lived in this apartment for a very long time. Newt bustled in, closing the door behind him and removing his blue coat, hair tousled and matted from the demanding work of the day. A hint of a smile was on Tina's face as the kneazle hopped out of her arms and nuzzled against Newt's ankle. Newt placed his case on the ground and crouched to pet the kneazle, running his hand through the soft fur. Tina stood in front of him, arms crossed, and he rose, enveloping her in a quick hug before pecking her on the lips. "How was work?" She asked as they broke apart, her eyes boring into his.

Newt let go of her and rolled his shoulders, stretching his muscles after such a long day. "It was alright. I hope we can go on another adventure soon," He said with a grin. Tina rolled her eyes but chuckled anyway. She returned to the kitchen, tsking as the kneazle jumped onto the counter. She let him stay though, because there was no arguing with the small creature and he'd find a way to avoid doing what he was told. "Someday he'll learn his manners," Newt said, petting the fuzzy creature once more. Tina scoffed.

"Yeah, right," She retorted, placing a pot full of water on the stove before turning the nozzle. "Just like the niffler? I'm still missing my rings, you know," Tina pointed out, flexing her empty fingers.

"That pesky thing!" Newt exclaimed in annoyance, retreating to grab his case. "I've told him not to steal your rings. It's not every day you craft one out of an occamy shell, now is it?" Tina didn't answer, because his question was rhetorical. Newt placed his case on the counter with a loud thump, opened it and shouted down, "Bring Tina's rings back!"

Only a few seconds later did the niffler's paw appear, holding both of Tina's cherished rings. One was her mother's wedding band, the other was her own. Tina gratefully took them from the niffler and slipped them onto her fingers. "Thank you, now paws off them!" She said, and the niffler scurried back to his habitat. Newt shut the case and sighed. "You baby him," Tina inferred, and Newt cast an arm aside.

"Oh, bugger. He does it because he cares. He doesn't want you losing your rings, now does he?" Newt replied, skirting around the counter and taking Tina's left hand.

"Mm," Tina made a noise of agreeance. "Because I often lose things that are on my fingers, right?" She cocked an eyebrow and both of them laughed, a twinkle in Tina's eye.

Newt got lost in them once more, and the couple gazed at each other with small smiles. "You're perfect," Newt mumbled, almost too quiet for Tina to hear. He reached his hand to brush her hair back, something he did so often, it became a habit.

The front door crashed open, causing the couple to jump as four wizards bustled into the apartment, wands drawn as they surveyed the room. The kneazle squealed and jumped down, shaking under the sofa as a jet of light was shot into the kitchen, hitting a plate and shattering it, broken pieces of ceramic scattering on the counter. In an instant, Newt and Tina's wands were drawn as they fought against their attackers. Two of the wizards cornered Tina. She shouted multiple spells their way, but was quickly overpowered and lost sight of Newt, who was dueling the other two. There was a crash and a burst of cool air, and Tina realized a window had cracked open. She punched one of her attackers in the face and he fell to the ground, covering his nose, now pouring out blood. She went to do the same to the other, but he grabbed hold of her arm, twisting it as she let out a cry of pain. She used her legs to kick back on the counter, sending the man flying around her as she turned her foot and impacted his groin. She stunned him, her wand pointed at his head. Panting, she looked around the room for the other two, but they were nowhere to be seen.