Chapter Four

Tina came walking through the door just hours later, a red envelope in her hands. She shrugged off her coat and hung it on the coat rack, smiling at Newt as he came out of his case. "Hello," he said to her, smiling back. Newt noted the crimson envelope in her grasp. "If I may ask, what's that about?" He asked, nodding toward the letter.

"Oh, this?" Tina said, holding it up and scoffing. "The auror department was invited to a charity ball held by the Minister himself, from the Ministry of Magic. It seems a bit... much, but I'm sure it'll be fun, if I decide to go. I'm not typically one for parties, and I don't trust the portkey systems will get me to London safely. One of the other aurors took a portkey to Maine and ended up in Romania," Tina explained, setting down the letter and sitting on the velvet couch. She'd been on foot all day, walking through the office and checking on the aurors she was in charge of. It had been relatively quiet; Grindelwald hadn't stirred up any trouble for months. "Though I guess Romania would be nice to visit. Weren't you there, once?"

Before Newt could answer Tina's question, the front door opened and he was interrupted. "There is no if, Teen. You're going, and you're bringin' me and Newt with. Don't object, it'll be good for you to get out of the house for once. Plus you're head auror, you don't wanna make the team look bad," Queenie butted in as she walked through the door. "Don't say anythin' about it stating you can only bring a plus one. They'll let Newt in, his brother Theseus is head of the Ministry's branch. And he's a hero all on his own," she winked at her sister, who turned a light crimson shade. "I won't take no for an answer, Tina," Queenie said, her voice firm. Tina recalled her mother using that voice when she was younger. She pushed back the thought.

Tina just shook her head and sighed, casting an apologetic look toward Newt. She knew he wasn't one for parties either. Dressing up, surrounded by people you don't know, and having to socialize? It was against both of their better judgements. Tina rolled her eyes, waving her wand to bring a mug of coffee her way. "Your wish is my command," she said, taking a sip and wincing at the hot liquid.

"Perfect!" Queenie exclaimed, turning around to face the kitchen and ready their supper. "It'll be the perfect evening."

Tina stifled a laugh; her sister was always one for romantics. Though, the night could end entirely well. She heard Queenie scoff in front of her, obviously reading her mind. Newt stood in front of the fireplace awkwardly, not wanting to contribute his opinion on the ball. He did suppose it would be fun, spending an evening back at home. He'd be able to introduce his brother to Tina, though he was sure the two had already met, or at least exchanged letters through work. Newt felt a pang at that thought. While he was left in the dirt, not receiving any letters from the Goldsteins, his brother was off fraternizing with Tina. Of course, it's not unusual of him to interfere with my romantic affairs. It was then that Queenie shook her head and tsk'd, gaining the attention of both him and Tina. "What? I didn't say- well, think, anything!" Tina protested, taking her nose out of the book she had begun reading. "And it's rude to read the minds of guests."

"Not when their thoughts involved one of us," Queenie said, acting nonchalant and grabbing a few plates out of the cabinet above her as Tina cast an embarrassed glance at her sister. "C'mon, dinner's ready."

+

Two Days Earlier

"Mr. Grindelwald, are you sure this is safe?" Credence asked, trailing the broad man in front of him. The room they entered was massive; a checkered floor covered in dirt was the first thing Credence noticed, until a glint of light caught his eye and he glanced at the rounded ceiling to view a magnificent chandelier. Covered in crystals and gold, Credence couldn't help but admire the beauty it gave off. Grindelwald muttered something under his breath and a large ball of light floated from the tip of his wand to the ceiling. It showed them both that it was more than a chandelier- behind it, the ceiling was covered in paintings that had to be centuries old. Patterns of witches and wizards painted in bronze tones and backed by fluorescent stars engulfed the upper interior. The walls had columns of white that trailed from the ceiling to the floor, and a long trail of white stairs sat in the left corner of the room, leading up to unmarked rooms. There was a fireplace in the Hall next to the staircase, which Credence thought was odd but ignored.