Chapter Eight

Tina stirred the cream in her coffee, her sister magicking breakfast onto the table in just a moment's time. She shivered, tugging her grey jacket tighter on her shoulders. It was January now, and the apartment grew cold at this time of year, even with a fire ablaze in the fireplace. Gone were the days of cool breezes through the window, fluttering curtains and dazzling sunshine, replaced with chilled air, drawn shutters and spectacular snowflakes white as freshly printed paper. It was in this time Tina began to miss the one who wore a heedlessly blue overcoat, brightening up the dim days of winter.

    "Oh, Teen," Queenie started, placing the day's newspaper next to her sister's plate. "No need to go missin' him now. He'll be back in a moment's time." Tina picked up the newspaper and began to read, sipping her coffee and ignoring Queenie's prior comments. "You know I'm right," Queenie muttered under her breath, agitated by her sister's lack of response. Both were correct, though, as Newt hadn't responded to any of Tina's letters since the sisters had left London. Newt's refusal to reply had sent Tina into a worried frenzy, wondering if perhaps he regretted admitting his feelings for her and that their encounter the night before Tina's departure had upset him.

    Queenie was against Tina's accusations, however. While her sister labored and worried, despite Queenie's constant reassurance, she had a romantic life of her own to take care of.

    During her visit to London, Queenie observed the no-maj and magic couples that freely roamed the streets. Their happiness together, and how they enriched the magical society, had inspired Queenie, and given her an idea. This idea, however, completely defied the laws of wizarding world logic and would never be allowed by the wizarding government in America. Tina surely wouldn't be supportive of it: It was her job to prohibit and control the formation of no-maj and wizard relationships, and if the magical congress got word that Queenie was in a relationship with a no-maj, it would jeopardize both of their futures. Additionally, Queenie knew there was no way Jacob, with a fully restored memory, would ever agree to run off to London with her. She would have to bewitch him, and though she was blinded by love, something told her he wouldn't agree with that.

    She felt the fledglings of insanity beginning to flood through her. Insanity caused by legilimancy, fueled by the thousands of thoughts she heard per day. Some of the thoughts Queenie heard on a daily basis stuck with her; this idea was no different. Ideas of running away with forbidden lovers and, when in the magical world, bewitching others for personal gain meshed together and formed one disastrous proposition. The proposition put everything on the line: Queenie's family, her home, their careers, Jacob's life... everything was at risk.

    But if all for the sake of love, isn't it worth it?

    Queenie knew what she wanted to do. Broken from her trance, she turned to face her sister. "I'm gonna go to the market to pick up some fresh groceries, we're runnin' low on bread and such. I'll see you soon."

    With a peck to Tina's cheek, Queenie was gone.

+

An owl swooped through the apartment's open window, alerting Tina with a loud screech as she set down her notepad to retrieve the letter hastily tied to the creature's talon. The letter was sealed with a red stamp, one that only belonged to one place: the congress. Tina fed the owl a treat, thanking it for its delivery and sending it off before rapidly opening the letter. Written on it, in messy, splattered black ink, was a message from the head auror.

Grindelwald is rumored to be out and on the hunt for magical and non-magical recruits. His whereabouts remain unclear, but we suspect he is making his way through Scotland with plans to move south into London. We have contacted European governments, but be on the lookout for anyone who may appear suspicious and stay in contact with your English counterparts to assure they're aware of the concluded danger. Stay safe.