Chapter Fifteen

This chapter contains mature content. 

A beautiful, joyful song led by pianos and flutes began to play. Couples streamed onto the dance floor, twisting and turning in time with the music. Tina, a glass in hand, looked at Newt. Both were giddy from the champagne they'd drank earlier in the day. It was now eight, and Flora was attempting to boost the energy one final surge so she could prolong the departure of Theseus and Leta on their honeymoon. Tina cocked her eyebrow, and Newt blushed as she placed her glass behind her. He held out his hand, giving her a knowing smile, and she smiled back, teeth shining in the light as they ran toward the dance floor. They arrived, Tina's feet aching from the heels she'd worn, and they stood near the middle. Newt bent over, bowing toward her, and Tina laughed as she curtsied. This wasn't part of the dance, but something simple they'd discussed doing. Tina was glad Newt followed his word.

Newt took her hand, and they were swept to the right, the room moving in circles and steps. This was a different dance, one neither of them had done before, but they quickly got the hang of it. They spun on the spot, laughing at themselves whenever they fell off beat or incorrectly stepped. They were in their own world. Other pairings began to split, matching hands with other partners and trading off back and forth, forming small shapes. Newt and Tina did the same, pressing their palms against other dancers before the males held the women's hand up and they twirled. Even so, the couple's eyes never left each other. Tina even laughed at the ridiculousness of it all, and how out of tune her and Newt were with modern dances, as neither of them regularly attended galas. Newt disliked large gatherings, Tina was often used as security. Couples walked gracefully toward themselves again, hands connecting once more, and the two followed suit. They began their steps again before the music twirled and they continued their steps, only they were spinning this time. They spun one, two, three times before Newt lifted Tina, her hands on his shoulder, and the music softened. They stared in each other's eyes, and they were captivated in each other, nothing else. The whole world around them disappeared, and Newt brought Tina down carefully. Her arms remained on his shoulders as she touched the ground, their eyes never leaving each other. Tina took her chance and kissed Newt square on the mouth, his hands on her back and hers holding his face. It didn't matter that there were people around, or Newt's entire family was watching, or that Tina had a sister at home who shouldn't be trusted alone with her fiance. All that mattered was her and Newt, together, in this moment, declaring their feelings for each other in front of everyone. It seemed that way too, because when they separated they saw they were square in the middle of the dance floor, though no one was paying them any mind. Tina let out a small laugh, biting her lip as she met Newt's gaze. They both grinned at each other before separating, Newt nodding toward his brother and heading toward him, Tina walking toward the tables, most of which were filled with people Tina didn't know, except a lone table that had a singular occupant, an older woman who watched the dancers with a small smile on her face.

"Is it alright if I sit here?" The older woman nodded at Tina, who sat down beside her and cast a charm to fill her glass with water. She watched her reflection warp and twist as the liquid in the cup rose, stopping only a centimeter from the top. It was calming, almost. Tina took a long drink from the glass, staring out at the scene that played in front of her. Some couples were still dancing, though many were standing up and conversing with the other guests. Tina sighed and started to fiddle with her ring finger, though she didn't understand why. It had come subconsciously. She looked out into the crowd again and spotted Newt, who met her gaze. She smiled at him, all timid and small glances. He returned her smiles until Theseus called for his attention. Tina looked away, still smiling, returning to fiddling with her fingers. She found herself wondering when they could leave and go back to his parent's estate, wanting nothing more than to be able to spend time with him alone, reading in the library or tending to the creatures in his case.