Chapter Twenty Four

Newt and Tina worked in Newt's study, simultaneously passing each other and sometimes bumping into each other with each movement. Tina wrote things down and muttered to herself, Newt added in occasional tidbits he'd heard from his mother and Theseus and hanging up various drawings he'd made of obscurius forms. Anything and everything they thought could lead them to information on where to find Credence was written down or scribbled about.

He wished the war would end. He wanted to go to his room at a decent hour and sleep peacefully in his bed. To curl up in the white sheets and sleep all day. To wake up with Tina next to him in a peaceful slumber, on a beautiful morning where there was no battle to be fought, no fear to be had. He would've paid anything to get those days back, but he knew the battle was far from over, and dreams of home would only suffice.

She had scrawled, in her messy handwriting, all over his map. The map with countless dots and points. She had bought anarchy to his organization. For that he loved her. Various pinpoints and scribbles about where Credence could be, the closest leads she had found, anything Tina could think of. She was certain Credence was in London, she just couldn't figure out where. And it drove her nearly insane. Newt traced the patterns of her most delicate handwriting, reminiscing in a time when they were together.

"And now to fight and save him even though he doesn't want us to," Tina muttered sadly, grabbing her wand off her of a sidetable. "If he's working with Grindelwald, there will be a fight, and Mercy knows what he believes of us. Especially after the Ministry, he may even try to kill..." Tina was unable to finish her sentence. The thought of Credence thinking they were evil filled her with dread, when the knowledge that Grindelwald would only use him with his power was the truth. A cold, hard truth. Whilst she was muttering, a quiet knock came from outside the door, and she turned swiftly.

"Then we fight. Together," Newt said, grabbing her hands and turning her face to look at him. Tina lifted her gaze to stare into his eyes. Between them, they shared an unresolved history and words that had yet to make their peace. Her eyes shone with unshed tears and uncertainty, and Tina found she couldn't meet Newt's eyes anymore. Not now. Not when there was so much between them, days and weeks and months of memories past that were just that. Memories.

"Together," Newt had said, implying there was still something between them. Of course, there was, a unanimous feeling that the two had expressed, yet couldn't act upon because of the danger it put them in. Tina stood her ground: She would not let Newt die for her, not when there was so much at risk. Not when she'd already lost so much in the last months.

The kiss had been just that: a kiss. A reminder of their future, of what could be... of what would be, once the war had ended and Credence was found safe. But for now, the kiss remained

itself in purity. Nothing more.

"Newt, I..." Tina started, but a harsh knock came once again on the door. She pulled her hands out of Newt's grip. He faltered. She drew her wand, pointing it near the door. "Who is it?" Tina called. She knew it wouldn't be anyone dangerous, but she still clenched her wand tightly and stood poised for an attack. Her auror instincts made her as defensive as she could be, especially in the threatening times they were in and after the attack on the Ministry.

"It's only me." The sweet voice that was muffled through the door belonged only to Tina's sister, Queenie. Both Newt and Tina let out sighs of relief and loosened the grips on their wands. Queenie opened the door with a creak and stepped in before quickly shutting and charming the door so that it locked. Her heels clicked on the ground as she walked toward her sister. "I have news."

"You do? What is it? Has he been found?" Tina asked, her voice hopeful but full of worry. She walked toward her sister, who opened her arms and enveloped her sister in a hug. Queenie tsked and shook her head.

"Don't get too excited, they still don't have any confirmation that it was him. They just... they're thinkin' it is. Earlier today, one of the younger Aurors saw a man who fit his description almost perfectly saunter into a building east of Maple Street. But don't be doubtful, Tina, I'm sure it was him. They're sendin' some more Aurors out to have a look," Queenie explained, though something in her eye told Tina she wasn't telling the full truth. As if she were withholding information from her sister, for whatever reason.

Tina couldn't help but have some of her spirits and hope of Credence's return evaporate. She didn't understand why she wasn't notified immediately. She was the Head Auror and the one person, other than Newt, that truly knew Credence and cared for his well-being. All of the other Aurors wanted to take him and use him as bait and for information. They cared more about finding Gellert Grindelwald than finding him. Even though Tina had commanded that they obey her orders and try to find Credence, they all had separate plans and were ready to betray their boss' orders so they could claim all the victory for the capture of Grindelwald.

Tina swiftly walked over to the map that sat on the writing desk, pointing at little dots and notes she'd written all over it. "I've marked all the places we think Credence could be, or where he's been reportedly spotted. There does seem to be a trend, and he's either here in London or... New York City. How could he have gone to New York? It's so far from here, and he doesn't know how to apparate. He doesn't even know how to correctly use magic, how-"

"He was there the night of the wedding," Newt said suddenly, getting out of his seat and rushing toward Tina. "When we were... when we were dancing, I thought I saw him staring at us. But when I went to get a second look, he was gone. I just thought I'd seen something silly in the corner of my eye or that my imagination had made it up. But we know he's working with Grindelwald, that means he had to be there."

"Well," Queenie said, shuffling and seeming rather uncomfortable. "That's not all. There were also reports of an... entity." She looked away from her sister, tightening her perfectly painted lips.

"What?" Tina asked increduously. "Where?" Tina widened her eyes as Queenie avoided her gaze. "Queenie, tell me where!"

Queenie's breath was shaky and her eyes filled with tears as she began to speak. "Someone saw... them. Grindelwald and Rosier. Leaving the same building they saw Credence at. Nothing was confirmed, but they seemed so sure... I took a look inside their minds and I'm almost certain it's them. It's just..." Queenie burst into sobs then. "I'm so sorry, Teenie!"

Newt and Tina shared wary glances with each other. "What is it, Queenie?" Newt said patiently, though Tina grew impatient and almost cold.

Tina snapped, "We aren't like you, Queenie, we can't read minds. Tell us now. That is an order."

Queenie gasped and covered her face with her hands. "Oh, Tina, I made a mistake! With you not livin' at the apartment anymore, I thought it would be okay to bring Jacob to London. I couldn't strand not being with him for so long, with him wantin' to get married and all... With how hidden our apartment was, I figured it would be okay and safe as ever to bring him here but... Grindelwald found our hideout."

Tina's mouth flew open in shock, and Newt sighed deeply, grabbing his hair with his hands and pacing. "Did he find you, or just the building? It's charmed to appear as an abandoned building to everyone. Dozens of undercover aurors live there!" Newt observed, continuing to walk back and forth across the room before Tina stilled him with a hand, still in shock.

"Ever since you stopped sleeping there Tina, for whatever reason... I've been so lonely. I'm so sorry. I didn't think Grindelwald knew about the hideout, but he may not - nobody was harmed. They just told of a horrible screaming and an explosion of black adamant filling the air, just for a moment before going back to where it came from," Queenie explained, her heart pumping wildly. Beautiful pink eye shadow trailed down her face as she cried. "Please don't tell about Jacob. I thought he'd be safer here, but... he's not."

Tina ignored everything Queenie said about Jacob, and put simply, "We need to go. Now."