Chapter Sixteen

Credence ignored the pungent smell of the potion brewing, but even further than that, he ignored the growing annoyance and violent nature of Grindelwald. He was growing restless, and he took that restlessness out in disastrous ways. One day, he had smashed a pot, another, he uprooted an entire bush. Rosier was often in charge of cleaning up any messes Grindelwald caused. While she wasn't opposed to it, she didn't approve of Grindelwald's behavior, either. One wrong move and he could destroy the polyjuice potion, and then where would they be? It was only a few weeks until their planned ministry breech, and everything was set other than their disguises. The ingredients had been hard to come by, even harder to brew together. Nothing beat the smell, however, that consumed the entire hut, driving everyone mad. Grindelwald was the most affected, unused to things not being perfect and handed to him on a silver platter. Rosier tried her best, but containing the dark wizard's temper wasn't an easy task.

One day, about two weeks into the potion's brewing, when everyone was getting used to the stench, an informant knocked on the door three times, and Grindelwald almost blasted him backwards, despite knowing who he was. Credence hoped he wouldn't be a victim to one of Grindelwald's fits of rage. The informant brought stacks of newspaper, and a small bit of news that raised Grindelwald's eyebrows before bringing a smirk to his face. Credence didn't know what it was, but he knew it brought much happiness to his master. Grindelwald set the stacks of newspapers on the ground, Rosier standing behind him with her arms crossed. Credence crawled over to them, turning his back to the fireplace. Grindelwald was sifting through them when he picked up a recent paper that flopped over his hand. He straightened it, Rosier stepping closer to read over his shoulder. "Well," She said, eyes darting back and forth on the paper. "Seems like we've got the marriage out of the way." They'd gotten word of the marriage between Leta and Theseus, and Credence knew this meant the onset of their plans. He was excited, though nervous to see them play out. One thing he knew for sure though, and that was that Newt Scamander was an enemy. Tina too, though he did feel bad that he may have to hurt her in the process. War was costly, though, so he knew not to dwell on the gory details. He didn't even know if she'd be there when they struck. Secretly, he hoped she wouldn't be. She was one of the few people he owed a kindness to.

"Yes," Grindelwald replied, immersed in the paper. "It seems our favorite of the two was seen at the wedding with the auror from MACUSA," He sneered, face scrunching in distaste. Grindelwald could only mean Newt and Tina, and Credence cursed himself.

"Goldstein?" Rosier asked, and Grindelwald nodded his eyes, rolling his eyes like it was obvious. "She's head auror, isn't she?" He nodded again, clutching the newspaper tightly, holding his tongue. Rosier didn't seem to get the message. "Were they seen... together, as a couple?"

Grindelwald closed the paper and slammed it down. "Yes!" He snapped, teetering on the edge of another outburst. Rosier knew not to ask anymore questions, so she busied herself in preparing stew. Stew was the only thing they'd been eating, and Grindelwald was getting tired of that, too. He would often complain at dinners about it, but what else was there to eat? The answer was nothing. Everyone was miserable in the hut, but the only one vocal about it was Grindelwald. It seemed his thirst was unquenchable, hunger never satisfied. It was going to make for a very miserable few weeks for Rosier and Credence, but the promise of another attack, especially one as packed as theirs, was sure to hold him off at least for a little bit.

Credence allowed himself to daydream about the outcomes of their attack. They'd have a grip on the ministry, the worst criminals in the wizarding world would be eradicated, and he'd be a hero. This was a world he could hardly wait to live in. The lessons with Rosier were going well, and he was catching on faster than anyone thought he could. The magic in his blood was stronger than it appeared.