• Treat Me Nice •

September 12, 1968

(Audrey's POV)

I woke up freezing with a headache, my throat hurting, and a nasty cough. I guess it's safe to say the cold Lisa Marie has is making its way around the house. As I sit up in bed my whole body starts aching. I wince and look over at the clock, it's only 8AM. I figure I should go ask Elvis or someone for some type of pain reliever and some extra blankets.

As I'm trying to get out of bed I don't notice how tangled up in the blankets I am and end up falling into the floor, which made a decent sized thumping sound.
"Ouch!" I whisper yell to myself while rubbing my arm that took most of the fall.

Why do I have to be so clumsy?

I hear running down the hallway and then Elvis swings my door open with a scared look on his face.
"Audi!? Are you okay? What happened?" He asks frantic.
"Clumsy me got tangled up in my sheets and I fell trying to get out of bed."
Of course since he now knows I'm okay he starts laughing.
"I'm so-sorry. W-where were you going?" He asked between laughs.
"I was going to find someone to ask where I can find some Advil or something and some more blankets. I think I got Lisa Marie's cold." I pout.
"Ah, I figured it was just a matter of time before her cold started making its way around. I guess you're the first one to get it besides Lisa. You sound really sick, let's get you back into bed and I'll go and get you some blankets, medicine, and something to drink." He says as he helps me up off the floor and back into the bed. Once I'm in bed he feels my forehead.
"Yeah honey you definitely have a temperature. You're burning up. Are you hungry? Do you want me to have Mary make you some soup?" He asks.
"Yes please. Thank you Elvis."
"Anything for you baby. I'll be right back."

About 15 or 20 minutes later he comes back with a blanket thrown over his arm, and a tray in his hands that consists of chicken noodle soup, crackers, a cup of tea with honey, a bottle of water, some cold medicine, and my antibiotic.
"Thank you for grabbing that for me, I completely forgot to ask you to get it from the bathroom. I guess your memory is better than mine."
"No problem Audi. Mary says she loves you and is very sorry you're feeling sick. She's downstairs whipping up her favorite feel better recipes as she calls them."
"Oh she doesn't have to do that! I'm perfectly fine with just soup."
"She figured you'd say that actually which is why she told me to tell you to stop being a pain and just accept it." He chuckles.
"She knows me so well already." I giggle.
"I have to go make some more calls. Are you going to be okay on your own for a little while?" He asks as he stands up and covers me up with the extra blanket he brought upstairs with him.
"Yeah I'll be okay. Thank you so much."
"Okay sweetheart. I'll come check back in on you in just a little while. Try and get some rest and eat and drink up. Feel better soon."
He says as he lightly ruffles my hair. Then he stands up and makes his way out of my room.
I took my medicine, ate my soup and crackers, drank my tea and some water, then set the tray aside on the nightstand before laying back down and falling back asleep.

Sometime later I wake up feeling the bed dip and someone's lips on my forehead. I open my eyes and Elvis is sitting on the side of the bed looking at me.
"Hey honey. I just wanted to let you know it's time for lunch. Are you feeling any better?" He asks as he sets down a tray on my nightstand, where the other one I had earlier had now mysteriously vanished from.
"A little bit. Tell Mary I love her and thank her for making me lunch would you please?"
I reply as I start eating one of Mary's 'feel better recipes'.
"Of course I will." He says.
"Did you get everything you needed done?" I ask.
"Yes I did. I talked with my lawyer and he got ahold of Carolyn -er I mean, your Mama. Surprisingly she agreed to sign the custody papers granting me full custody. The lawyer is just waiting for a time to meet up with her. After she signs it he'll file them." He smiles.
"It's not really that surprising." I say looking down. Then I shrug and continue "but hey, I'm glad I have you. I really appreciate everything you're doing for me. It means so much more than you could ever imagine."
"I'm so sorry things were so bad for you growing up the past 11 years baby. And I'm sorry your mom isn't even close to being the amazing mom you deserve. I wish I would've known about you sooner so I could've protected you from her and all of her hatred and abuse. I promise I'm going to do everything I can to make sure she, or anyone for that matter, never hurts you again.  And I'm going to try my best to try and make up for all the years we've lost. And give you everything you could never have. I'm so glad you're here Audrey. I can't even begin to describe how happy I was to find out about you. And to have you here. I love you so much."
"I love you too! And please don't be sorry, you didn't know. None of it was your fault. Let's just focus on all the things we can do now instead of what we missed out on."
"Deal pumpkin. How about you come to my room and we can have a lazy day and watch some TV, huh?"
"Okay!" I reply happily.
"Hop on!" Elvis says as he turns his back towards the bed offering me a piggy back ride to his room.

We spent the rest of the day in his room with me curled up into his side while watching TV, because I was still freezing. We talked, laughed, told jokes, goofed off, made future plans, and ate some snacks before we finally passed out for the night.

I can't explain how happy I was inside. How lucky I felt to have finally found my father and have him turn out to be someone so amazing. A part of me is still sad and I'm sure will always be sad at the thought of my Mama and how she grew to be so filled with hate. I wish I could have known her before she got pregnant with me. Before she started hating everything about the world and her life. I wish I could've known who she was before she started drinking to numb the pain and disappointment she was forced to deal with. But I guess everything happens for a reason. Maybe I was meant to live with Elvis after all. And meet him at the exact time I did. And maybe a miracle will happen and Mama will still get her happy ending. Because despite everything she's done, I still think she deserves to be happy, and I want her to be.

A/N - I know this is kind of a short and boring chapter and I'm sorry about that! But I have plans for more exciting things to happen in future chapters. Also thanks so much to everyone who's reading! I can't believe this story has over 300 views already! Thanks for all your support. Have a great night. 💓