• Suspicious Minds •

Authors Note:

Sorry it's taken me so long to update! I've had a bunch of family stuff going on. My Aunt who has been fighting cancer for a while now is on life support and she's being taken off this weekend so things have been pretty rough. But thankfully I have writing to help distract me.

I wanted to say thank you so much to everyone reading because this story is almost to 1K READS! That just blows my mind considering I haven't been writing this for very long!

One last thing, I'd like to give a shoutout to Preslynn for being so supportive of my story. It means a lot when you comment and really encourages me to keep writing. So thank you!

Enjoy! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT. 💗☺️

PREVIOUSLY:

What I see when I reach the front entryway makes me stop dead in my tracks. My hands start to go numb. My legs feel like jelly and are about to fail me at any moment. I feel the blood drain from my face and I can feel my heart being faster.

I look at the 5'5, pale, brown eyed woman standing next to a dangerously angry looking Elvis. I feel the mug slip from my hands and drop to the floor but I'm in such shock I don't even hear the glass break.

"Merry Christmas, Audrey." I gasp.

"M-Mama?"

"Hello, Audrey." She smiles. Yes, SMILES.

"Mama, w-what are you doing here?" I ask her while furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you mean darling? It's Christmas!" She says in a 'duh' tone. I hear Elvis scoff beside her. Oh no, here we go. I tell myself. Knowing full well Elvis is not about to bite his tongue.

"Since when have you ever cared about Christmas? Or specifically Audrey for that matter." Elvis says angrily. Carolyn- I mean Mama - looks at him with a fake shocked expression on her face.

"Elvis, I don't know what you've heard but I love and care very deeply for our daughter." She says while reaching out and attempting to rub Elvis' right arm that's currently crossed with his left tightly against his chest. He jerks his arm harshly out of her grasp. His anger clearly escalating.

"MY daughter, Carolyn." He says lowly. "Not our daughter. She's mine. She ran away from you three MONTHS ago and you made no effort to try and find her. Hell, you didn't even report her missing! And you want to come in here and tell me you love and care for her? You're nuts! Not only did you not care when she left, but you abused her for years. You abused her physically, mentally, and emotionally. I read the letters, I know it was all just to get back at me. But what you didn't know is that I had no knowledge of Audrey until she showed up here three months ago. Colonel never told me about her. Because I can promise you if I had known I would've taken her from you years ago. Especially after seeing what you were capable of. She came here injured, underweight, dehydrated and malnourished. She would wake up many nights crying from nightmares. Things are finally just now settling down and I'm not going to let you come in and ruin that. When I found out about Audrey I promised her I would do whatever I could to make sure no one ever hurt her again and I intend on keeping that promise. You had your chance to be a good mom, you had nearly twelve years. You're the one who chose not too. And you're the one who signed your parental rights over -which is the only thing I'm thankful to you for- so live with it. I don't want to see your face around here again. And don't try contacting me or Audrey. If she decides she wants a relationship with you when she's older that's her decision. Now I want you to get the hell out of my house before I have you thrown out." Elvis growls before opening the door they were both standing by.

Mama doesn't look at or say anything to me. She just glares up at Elvis before walking out the door. Elvis slamming it shut behind her.

I don't even notice I started crying until I feel a tear run down my cheek. Elvis comes over in seconds pulling me into his arms. I bury my face in his chest and cry while he rubs my back soothingly, trying to calm me down.

"I'm so sorry Audrey. I didn't want you to see that or her. I guess I should've talked quieter."

"You were yelling." I correct him but it comes out mumbled because my face is pressed against his shirt.

"What was that?" He chuckles. Pulling me back a little bit to hear my answer clearly this time.

"You were yelling." I repeat. Before hugging him again.

"Oh, right. Should've yelled quieter then." He corrects. I giggle.

"I take that laugh as a sign that you're feeling a little bit better. So how about we go look at your real Christmas gift?" He says before smirking.

"YOU GOT ME SOMETHING ELSE!?" I say excitedly.

"Yes. Here put this on." He says as he reaches over grabbing my coat from the coat rack and tossing it to me before throwing his on.

"Can I have a piggy back ride?" I plead before giving him puppy dog eyes and pouting with my lips. He laughs and rolls his eyes then turns around and crouches down slightly.

"Jump on." And I do. We both laugh loudly as he takes off quickly. Running outside and towards the stables. Leaving behind the broken mug and the way out of tune wanna be singers who are now singing Christmas songs loudly in the living room.

He lets me down once we're inside the stables and he slowly leads me to the once empty stall right next to his horse, Rising Sun. The one I've bonded with.

The only difference is this time the stall isn't empty. There's a large white horse standing inside eating hay.

"You bought yourself another horse?" I ask him confused.

"No... I bought you a horse!" He exclaims.

"YOU DID WHAT NOW?!"