• All Shook Up •

A/N: If anyone's still reading this, hi! I know it's been soooo long since I've updated. It honestly almost feels like I'm reading a story written by someone else when I re-read the chapters! I can't believe this has gotten as many reads, votes, and comments as it has, that's INSANE! I was not expecting that. Thank you so much for all of the support and the sweet comments! I'm sorry I haven't posted a new chapter in a long time. I really have no excuse honestly besides just life in general is rough sometimes. And I haven't had the motivation to write. I'm sorry. I hope you're all having a good year so far! Thank you so much! ☺️❤️

December 26, 1968

When I'm able to compose myself, I head into the kitchen where everyone is seated and waiting for breakfast. After scanning the table for a free seat I gulp when I realize the only free seat that isn't Mary's is one right next to Elvis. Which is fine any other day of the week. Except today sitting across from me at the table, is none other than the strikingly handsome Mr. Dean Carter. And the amused look on his face shows me that not only does he know how flustered he can make me, but that he enjoys it too. Turd.

This time instead of letting him relish in his abilities to make me squirm uncomfortably, I simply roll my eyes and go have a seat. Once Elvis notices I sat down next to him he breaks off from his conversation with Vernon and Dee and leans over giving me a sloppy kiss on my cheek saying "Good morning pumpkin! I was wondering when you were gonna get in here. We've been waiting for you, I'm starving!" He shouts the last part, patting his stomach and laughing afterwards.

"Daddy, you're always hungry." I giggle.
"A growing boys gotta eat!" He replies.
"Uh dad? You're 33."
Elvis' eyes widen as he cups a hand over my mouth leaning in closer to me and whispering (loudly) "what have I told you about telling people how old I am!?"
"Dmmphm-" I realize his hand is still covering my mouth so my words are coming out muffled. Rolling my eyes, I remove it and continue.

"Dad, you're Elvis. Literally everybody knows how old you are. Duh."
"Oh yeah!" He shrugs. As if he'd forgotten who he was. Dork.
Everyone laughs and we continue on with breakfast.

Mary serves everyone before serving herself a plate and sitting down with us.
Elvis insists that Mary eat with us anytime she prepares a meal because she's family. And I couldn't be more happy about that. Mary's amazing at everything. She's like a Grandma I never really had.

Breakfast had been going good thus far. Everyone's busy digging in to their food to really talk a whole lot. Which I'm grateful for today because I knew Dean would come up in conversation at some point. And I was prepared to avoid that mess for as long as possible.

Just when everyone's finishing with their food. And settling down, likely all stuffed from the huge meal we just had and I was starting to think I might actually get to avoid any future embarrassment or torment from the good ol' fam bam- Vernon clears his throat and looks at Elvis with a serious look on his face.
Oh great, this doesn't look good. Here we go.
"Elvis, my boy. I've gotta ask you a big favor."
"What is it?" Elvis asks. Seeming somewhat nervous.
"Well I know you're aware Dean has been staying with us for a little while now while his parents are away. And they called to say they won't be back for a few more weeks. And well your Mama and I had plans to go visit some friends for a few days back in Tupelo. We've had these plans since before we knew Dean would be staying with us and it'd be a real hassle to cancel. We were hoping you and Cilla could take him in for a few days while were away."

What the!?

Elvis is hesitant at first and conflicted. He glances between Dean, me, Cilla, his dad, Mama, and then back at Dean again one last time.
"Well Cilla, what do you think?"
"I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a great idea, actually! We have room, and it'll give your Mama and Daddy a well deserved vacation and time to spend with their friends and reminisce." She smiles.
"Well, Daddy. I guess you have your answer. We'll take Dean in. I'm just trusting he'll be on his best behavior while he's here. And especially while he's in the presence of my little girl." He looks sternly at Dean.
Dean nods his head quickly. Visibly frightened by Elvis' hard threatening stare.
Elvis just smiles in return.
"Alrighty then. It's settled! Dean, welcome to Graceland, the home of the Presley's. Go ahead and make yourself at home while you're with us for the next few days."

I swear would've payed to see the look on my face from someone else's point of view. My jaw had to have been close to the floor and my eyes wide as saucers.

WHAT!? Dean? Here? AT MY HOUSE!? FOR SEVERAL DAYS!?

Someone please tell Elvis to start prepping for a funeral because I'm positive my heart is going to beat out of my chest ANY second now!