4. Second First Impressions

With plenty of time to spare, Harry exited the Knight Bus at Kings Cross Station. He quickly found a secluded spot where he got his school trunk out of his special trunk, so that he wouldn't look strange not having luggage. He also took out a book to read. He then sat in a spot that had full view of Platforms Nine and Ten and waited for a certain family to make an appearance. Within ten minutes, he heard the voices he was listening for.

"Are you sure that you've properly understood your instructions, Hermione?" asked a woman's voice, calling Harry's attention from his book. He couldn't stop the huge grin that formed on his face when he saw a little girl with bushy hair and buckteeth, pushing her trunk on a cart as tall as her, with her parents behind her. He wanted to kiss her right there, realizing just how much he'd missed his girlfriend for the past month. However, he knew that if things did go properly, she wouldn't be her old self for nineteen more days and would not appreciate his assault. However, that was no reason not to be friendly with her before then.

He carefully marked his place as Hermione answered, "Yes. To get to Platform Nine and Three Quarters..."

"Excuse me," said Harry, who had by this time approached them. The three Grangers looked uncomfortable, and he figured they thought he was a muggle and had overheard them. "Could you tell me how to get on Platform Nine and Three Quarters?"

Hermione's ears turned pink and she started looking at her shoes. "Er, I was joking. Of c-course there isn't a Platform Nine and Three Quarters."

"No, you weren't," he replied in a whisper. "I'm going to Hogwarts, too," he said, holding up his large tome to her. The cover said, Hogwarts, a History. Hermione's face lit up. Before she could respond, Harry continued. "The only problem is that Hagrid, the one who told me about the magical world, forgot to tell me how to get onto the platform."

"How dreadful," said Hermione, obviously appalled that someone would forget such an important detail. "Professor McGonagall, who delivered my letter, told me straight away." She then went into what Harry recognized as her lecture mode. "What we need to do is walk straight into the wall between Platforms Nine and Ten."

"Wow," he said, acting amazed.

"I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, and these are my parents," she said, holding out her hand to shake his. "And you are?"

Taking a deep breath, he said, "I'm Harry Potter."

Her eyes widened before looking up to his legendary scar. "You are him, aren't you?" She then frowned. "You're having me on. You knew full well how to get through."

"That was very rude, Hermione," chastised her mother.

"I was not," Harry said quickly, now worried that he'd ruined Hermione's first impression of him and he would have to wait three weeks to be friends with her. He phrased his words very carefully so that he wasn't lying to her. "I was raised by muggles who hate magic, and I didn't even find out I was a wizard until I got my letter." He took a deep breath. "Hagrid brought me the letter and took me shopping in Diagon Alley, but he forgot to tell me how to get onto the platform." He then decided to add, "That was also the first I'd heard the truth about my scar. My aunt told me I got it in the car crash that killed my parents."

For the second time, Hermione looked appalled. "A car crash? They didn't even tell you the truth about yourself? How awful."

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "Anyway, I think it's time we got onto the platform. I want to get a good seat. Do you want to sit with me?"

He didn't notice the grins that appeared on Mr. and Mrs. Granger's faces when they saw that someone seemed to be befriending their often lonely daughter, but he did see her smile. "Sure," she said simply before adding, "Let's go." Side-by-side, they ran through the barrier.