9. The Sacking of Severus Snape

The next day (Sunday) after breakfast, Harry and Hermione walked up to the shortest member of Hogwarts' staff. They'd discussed various methods of sneaking into Ravenclaw tower, and had come to the conclusion that sometimes the direct approach was better. If it failed, they could always try sneaking in later. They approached the enthusiastic Charms teacher as he was leaving the Great Hall.

Hermione asked, "Professor Flitwick, could we have a moment of your time?"

"Certainly, Miss Granger, Mr. Potter. How may I help you?"

"Well," she said nervously, clearing her throat as she looked down at the floor. "We've both read 'Hogwarts, a History' and are absolutely fascinated by the founders."

"Yes," the head of Ravenclaw agreed, "They were remarkable people."

"Right," said Harry. "We, er, heard that there's a statue of Rowena Ravenclaw in Ravenclaw Tower and, er..."

"We were wondering if you would allow us to look at it," finished Hermione.

"Certainly," he replied happily. "Come with me." He began walking in the appropriate direction as he said, "I wish more students would take interest in Hogwarts' history. Did you know that Rowena Ravenclaw was one of the first..." He rattled off what seemed like the entire history of the founder in question as they headed toward the tower. Harry was bored beyond belief, but managed to fake interest enough to convince Flitwick he was listening. Hermione, on the other hand, had pulled out a muggle pen and tablet and was taking notes. It was much harder to handle parchment, quill and ink while walking up a spirally staircase.

When they reached their destination, Flitwick answered a riddle that had been asked by the eagle door-knocker in order to gain entrance. Harry knew he'd absolutely hate to have to answer a riddle every time he wanted to go to bed. He further realized that it wasn't a secure method at all. Any clever person could answer a riddle, whether they belonged in Ravenclaw Tower or not. He much preferred having a password.

After the door opened, Harry and his girlfriend got their first glimpse of Ravenclaw Tower. It was a wide, circular room, with graceful arched windows punctuating the walls, which were hung with blue-and-bronze silks. The Boy-Who-Lived gazed at the spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. Hermione was in awe of the bookcases filled with glorious tomes that took up most of the wall space.

Several Ravenclaws who had been sitting at the tables studying looked up at their three visitors when Flitwick said to his guests, "Welcome to Ravenclaw Tower. The statue is right over there." While the students went back to their books, he indicated a niche opposite the door that contained a tall statue of white marble - Rowena Ravenclaw.

"She was beautiful," commented Hermione as they walked toward it. The statue stood beside a door that Harry guessed led to dormitories above. "That must be her famous tiara," commented Hermione, trying to sound casual about it.

"Yes, indeed," said Flitwick. While the professor began speaking about the headpiece, Harry examined the delicate-looking circlet on top of Ravenclaw's head and had a flashback to the first day he'd seriously hurt someone. At the time, he'd been full of Draco Malfoy's blood and trying to find a place to hide Snape's old Potions book (although he hadn't known that at the moment). He had been relieved that Snape had saved Draco's life at the time, but now he wished the ferret had died. It would've saved a lot more lives later on. Not for the first time, he wondered why Albus considered Draco's life so much more important than Katie and Ron's. He'd nearly killed both of them and Dumbledore knew it, yet he let the ferret walk freely so that he could sneak Death Eaters into the school.

Refocusing his thoughts on the current issue, Harry remembered seeing that very diadem, albeit, dusty and tarnished, in the Room of Requirement while he was hiding the book. He'd even picked it up, just like the locket at Grimmauld Place. He held his temper again as he considered how much easier things would've been if Dumbledore hadn't kept all his secrets to himself. If they'd been told about the Horcruxes as soon as Voldemort returned - if not sooner - the war might have gone a lot differently. However, Dumbledore enjoyed being the master of information - giving out too little and too late to do any good - far too often.