28. Avada Kedavra

Standing side-by-side, two wizards appeared in front of a supposedly abandoned warehouse in a bad part of muggle London. One had long, white hair with a beard to match. He was wearing half-moon spectacles, along with flamboyantly colored robes. His wand was in his right hand and pointing straight forward. At his side was a much younger man in his forties with black, greasy hair and black robes. His wand was also facing forward.

"The Shadow hasn't had time to cast the Fidelius on this warehouse yet, but is planning to do so later today, so this is our only chance."

"I hope that she is alone as you've been told, Severus," the older man replied as he began to silently remove the many other wards that were guarding their destination. "I'd hate for others to be unnecessarily hurt." Dumbledore believed that once the leader was gone, the followers would stop committing crimes, which is why he had had no problem with ninety percent of the Death Eaters evading Azkaban and walking free for a decade before someone began killing them.

"I do wonder if Delores is luring me into a trap," Snape responded, sounding concerned.

"If she is, then it's time we sprang that trap. The wards are down." He pointed his wand at the nearby door and it opened for them. "Let's go."

The two figures walked into the dimly-lit warehouse with several cobwebs all over the ceiling. In the center of the gloomy place was a desk with a woman dressed in all pink sitting at it, apparently working on parchmentwork.

"Stupefy!" whispered Dumbledore, sending a red beam of light toward Umbridge. The only problem was that the beam went straight through the figure and into the desk.

Suddenly, bright lights were turned on and an annoying, "Hem, hem," could be heard behind them. They turned to see the real Shadow, along with fifteen of her followers, wands pointed at them. "That was quite rude to walk in here and try to attack me. Shame on you," she scolded them as though they were little children. "Severus, I can't say I'm surprised at your bad behavior. Now, I'm afraid that both you and Mr. Dumbledore must be punished."

At that pronouncement, the fifteen wizards with Umbridge began firing Avada Kedavra's. Albus flicked his wand, causing a large granite stone to appear, blocking every one of the green spells. At that moment, ten more jumped out of hiding places, surrounding Albus and Severus, all shooting various dark spells which Dumbledore blocked. The Shadow conjured a large panther that leapt toward them, but Snape sent a, "Sectumsempra!" at the large cat's head. It was dead before it hit the ground.

One by one Dumbledore stupefied and bound each of Umbridge's followers while Snape himself countered everything she shot at them. When there were about five minions left, Snape shot a silent Stupefy at Umbridge, knocking her to the ground while Albus formed a magical rope that knocked her remaining servants to the ground.

"It's over," said Dumbledore while magically binding his opponents, turning his back on his long-time friend.

"Thank goodness," agreed Severus before whispering the words, "Avada Kedavra!" with his wand about one foot from Dumbledore's back. The green beam of light hit the old man, instantly sending him to the floor, dead. "I don't think I could've stood one more day listening to your talk of goodness. Just because I hate the former Dark Lord doesn't mean I don't hate you, too."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Aside from a few people rushing about to purchase essential items, Diagon Alley was empty, despite the fact that it was about noon on a beautiful day. Those who were shopping were obviously nervous because it hadn't been long since the Shadow's vicious attack with a mandrake, killing far too many innocents. It was therefore perfectly understandable that everyone in the streets Apparated on the spot when someone appeared right in front of the Alley's entrance and fell.