12. Christmas with the Grangers

Harry smiled to himself as he did something he hadn't done in the original timeline during first year. In fact, the only time he'd ever done this was during his sixth year. He boarded the Hogwarts Express to leave the castle for the Christmas holidays. During fifth year, he'd ridden a portkey to Grimmauld Place, but that just wasn't the same.

He actually had planned on staying at the castle until a few days before McGonagall was to collect the names of those staying for the holidays.

Harry was adding more scrambled eggs to his plate at breakfast when Hedwig arrived in the Great Hall and flew directly to Hermione. He glanced up and saw her untying a note from his owl's leg. "Is that from your parents?" he asked.

"Yes. Thanks again for letting me borrow Hedwig."

"It's no problem. I'm sure she enjoys the exercise," he replied while his girlfriend gave a piece of bacon to Hedwig. "Besides, I don't have anyone to write out there."

She quickly opened the letter and looked it over, letting out a small squeak as she grinned broadly.

"What is it?" he asked, smiling at her obvious glee.

"I asked, and they said YES!" Hedwig flew off her shoulder and onto Harry's, apparently scared by this display of emotion. He began absentmindedly petting her.

Harry was confused. As much as he tried, he couldn't imagine what she was talking about. "Asked what?"

"If you could spend Christmas with us," she said happily. "They said yes!"

He was genuinely surprised. "Y-you asked them..."

"You didn't think I'd let you spend Christmas all alone here, did you?"

"I, I just didn't think..."

Under the table, she took his hand in hers and lowered her voice. "Harry, you know I wouldn't want you to be alone. Don't you want to spend Christmas with me?"

"Of course," he replied.

"Good. Then I'll send them a note to expect you." She then whispered in his ear, "It'll be our first Christmas as a couple."

He smirked and whispered back, "Yet, not a couple."

It was a few days later that McGonagall, knowing about his situation at home, asked him if he was staying for the holidays. She seemed absolutely delighted that he had someplace to spend Christmas.

Neville, Harry and Hermione boarded the train and quickly found a compartment and settled in. Hermione quickly pulled out her wand and pointed it at the doorway, which glowed for a second while Harry was asking Neville about a plant to distract him. What she'd done is put what she called a 'Slytherin ward' on the door, but didn't want Neville to know she could do spells of the level that she'd done - especially since she'd done it silently. Once the spell was cast, Hermione joined the conversation.

"So, you're saying that Devil's Snare can be useful in certain circumstances?" she asked him.

"Absolutely," said Neville. "It can help defend a house, keeping out undesirables like..." At that moment, the door opened, revealing Crabbe, Goyle, and of course their leader, "Malfoy."

"Longbottom, how can a pureblood like you stand sitting in the same compartment as that mudblood?" he sneered as he stepped inside. "It's bad enough with Potter being a half...What's happening?" The three Slytherins' skin started to turn green while their hair turned silver. At the same time, they began to develop a terrible odor, but fortunately, the wards pushed them all out the door forcefully, before closing it.

All three Gryffindors began laughing their heads off, and Harry could hear some laughter coming from outside the door as well. Obviously, the three stooges had been spotted.