19. The Death of Kings

It was early on the morning of the twenty-third of July that Harry unlocked the door to his bedroom at Number Four Privet Drive for hopefully the last time. He was wearing his watch, which carried every possession he owned aside from the clothes he was wearing and his wands, which were with him at all times. He closed the door behind him and took a deep breath. He then marched down the steps to officially leave the house for the first time that summer.

He had just reached the first floor when he heard his aunt gasp. "I take it you're leaving for the year, boy?"

He turned to face his mother's sister and noticed that the house wasn't quite as spotless as he'd always kept it. Obviously, the horse-faced woman was having a hard time keeping up with Dudley's messes. "Yes, Aunt Petunia. Hopefully, I won't have to return next year, but if I do..."

"Fine," she snapped. "If you can't con someone into taking you the whole summer next year then you'll get the same deal. I will NOT feed you nor tolerate your presence at all. Now, off with you."

"Bye," he said before walking out the door. He took a look at the garden that his aunt had clearly not been taking proper care of and walked off. Once he was a few blocks away, he put on a hooded robe to obscure his face and summoned the Knight Bus. He began to wonder if it would be better to use Polyjuice to morph into random muggles whenever he was going anywhere out in public after he got Stan Shunpike to stop asking him questions. It was only two minutes after he sat down that the bus stopped at the Granger residence. He exited the bus, walked up to the familiar door and knocked.

"Harry!" shouted Hermione as soon as she opened the door. She engulfed him in a hug that he readily returned.

"He visited just yesterday," commented Mr. Granger. "There's no need for that much excitement."

"Adam," scolded his wife while the young couple broke apart. "This time is different. He's now staying here and won't have to see those horrid relatives of his for a year." To prove her point, Mrs. Granger also gave Harry a brief hug.

"Sorry, Marissa," Adam replied before shaking Harry's hand. "Harry, welcome to our home."

"Thanks for letting me stay here."

"You know where your room is," said Adam, "and since you don't need help carrying your luggage," he indicated the wonderful watch Harry was wearing, "I suggest you get unpacked while Marissa and I go to work."

"Yes, sir," he replied and walked up the stairs with Hermione.

"Did you have to see the Dursleys on you way out?" she asked.

"Just Aunt Petunia. The others were still asleep."

"Oh."

"I noticed the house wasn't sparkling like she's always liked."

Hermione half-smiled. "She's probably learning how hard it is to keep a house clean without you doing all the work."

"Yeah, especially with Dudley around to mess everything up. If I had a Knut for every time I'd mopped a floor and Dud would purposely track mud in, I'd..." He trailed off.

"But those days are over now," she replied while putting her hands on his shoulders and looking him in the eyes. They heard the Grangers' car start up outside.

"I know," he replied, before leaning forward and kissing her.

  ❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾  

The next week was quite enjoyable. Even though he'd been able to visit using his vanishing cabinet, it wasn't the same as actually staying at the Grangers' house. He and Hermione would exercise outside every day and practice magic inside his trunk. On the day before Harry's birthday, he and Hermione took a trip on the Knight Bus to the mansion belonging to a certain ancient, noble pureblood home and walked up to the door. Harry knocked.