CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER 13
xiii.
ANOTHER ENCOUNTER 

__

I ONLY SAT with Frankie comforted into my lap, holding the cat with dear life. With my back pressed against the paint-chipped wall, silence took its toll around me. With everything inside me slowing down into a slow pace, I didn't bother to get up from where I sat. I didn't dare let go of the cat I so helplessly got back. I didn't even bother to think of what just happened.

I was just... there.

No emotion was able to express through my posture, or the way my face had looked. I just sat in silence with nothing to say. Nothing to do, or want to do. My eyes drifted off into the direction forward, gluing towards the rusting bedpost as I kept them there.

For fast seconds, I was almost positive that I was in the room alone. No soul to be spared in the same space as me. The only thing that stood between the rotting walls in the house. That I was yet to be alone, again. And this time, I let it sink in.

But to my luck, Frankie was still cuddled within my arms, a small sigh of relief exhaling I was finally happy again to have my best friends in arms way. My grasp tightening around him, I finally took the strength to push my self against the wall.

Slowly, I made my way up with Frankie in my arms. With wobbly feet, they hastily lead me towards the doorway. This door better be fucking open. Reaching towards the doorknob, and one swift movement, it opened with such ease. No jam was to abruptly stop its way open.

Meeting the same hallway, no one was noticeable. Not a single person had been standing out the doorway. Was that the silence I heard? Did Bill really leave me? My eyes wandered over towards the door had been shut, remembering that same door hadn't been closed from before.

With hastily steps, I made my way towards the door as muffled shouts were heard behind. No words could be made out by I was sure it was one of the boys. Or maybe more than one. Too frightened to even move from my stance, I didn't bother to knock on the door or yell or bang.

I made sure to hold onto Frankie tight, knowing that I wasn't going to let him out of my grasp or sight. Anyone could be in there. The boys could be in there. Beverly could be in there. Bill can be in there. And you're just going to stand here and listen?

As my shaky hand came up into a fist, I wasn't able to push the door. I couldn't even think another spilt second before a shrill cry had come from downstairs. Snapping heads towards the sound, my blood ran cold as my arms tightened around the cat in my arms.

Who the hell was that? The yell sounded again, crying out for help as my heart skipped a beat. The voice was pinned with pain, myself ready to pounce my way down the stairs. The sudden jolt of the door behind me snapped my head towards the two boys that stood in the doorway.