Flipped

the first thing that sent the neighbors into titters was when she was seven. she had refused to wear a dress for School Picture Day. her parents tried to force it onto to her, but she fought tooth and nail. her outfit was a pink shirt, which she hated, but at least she wore what she wanted; a black jacket with black slacks.

the second thing was her love of toy soldiers and guns. she loved the pop-pop-pop of the guns the soldiers had. to be brave and heroic like them, well, that was a dream come true. she wanted to be just like them.

the third thing was her boldness and voice, which she developed at a young age. she wasn't weak or meek and she wouldn't follow blindly, like a sheep to the slaughter. she was proud and independent, no matter all the attempts to quiet her. no one could take away bravery that was a part of her.

the fourth thing was her disregard of talk about make-up and dresses. all the other girls cared about designers and "look at my new shade of lipstick!". she sat by herself, on the sidelines, sad because no one was talking to her, but glad at the same time. she wasn't going to change who she was; not for anyone.

the fifth thing was her hatred of dresses. they were too tight, too flashy, and exposed too much. she especially hated the way men looked at her: like a piece of meat that was theirs for the taking.

the sixth thing was her refusal to cook and be a housewife. she burned down the kitchen every time she walked in. she hated being cooped-up, stuck within four blank walls and nothing to do. no, she decided, that was not going to do. she was going to make something of her life. she wasn't going to rely on someone to take care of her.

the seventh thing was when she got married. she had worn a sleek, black tuxedo, with a tie that hung loose. no dress for her, like she ha wanted. she didn't worry about other people's thoughts; it was exactly how she wanted it.

the eighth thing was her career. she was an F.B.I agent — something no woman should do, her neighbors thought — and it was dangerous, but oh, she loved it so much. the buzz of adrenaline that ran through her veins, the thought that she was doing something good, and most importantly, saving people, oh, how she loved it.

the ninth and last thing was her fire. as she grew older, the fire calmed, but never diminished. she instead focused on teaching young girls and the importance of being yourself. never change, no matter what society or your family says. Be your own person.