three

chapter three

chapter three

L E T S
C A L L
A
T R U C E

IT WAS A CALM NIGHT AT HAWKINS. ALMOST EVERYTHING WAS AT REST. Well, except for Jackie Stuart and Kelly Greene.

"He's just so hot!" Kelly exclaimed loudly into the phone, screeching into Jackie's ear exuberantly.

It was nearly midnight when Kelly decided to ring Jackie's home phone. Kelly was extremely, exhilarated. Billy 'the heartthrob' Hargrove asked her out — why wouldn't she be excited? They were gonna show up to Tina's Halloween party together as a couple.

When Billy asked her, her first instinct was to call her best friend, and boast to her about ensnaring such a guy as Billy.

"He's so perfect," Kelly gushed. "From his hair, to his eyes, to his abs! Jackie, have you seen his abs?"

Jackie chuckled at how lovestruck Kelly seemed to be. Kelly had been with a variety of boys, but never has Jackie ever witnessed her friend squeal over a boy as much as Kelly had for Billy Hargrove, and Jackie could kind of understand why.

"No, Kelly. I have not seen his abs," Jackie answered, holding the phone in between her shoulder and cheek as she painted her toenails black.

"Well, holy mother of God, they're rock solid,"Kelly sighed. "I think I'm falling for him."

Jackie rolled her eyes at that. "You said the same thing about Steve Harrington freshman year. And Kevin Locke sophomore year. And–"

"This is different," Kelly declared, interrupting Jackie. "Billy's different."

"He seems like every other asshole to me," Jackie shrugged, remembering her distasteful introduction to the boy just a day prior.

"C'mon, you don't even know him," Kelly scoffed, coming to Billy's defense.

"I don't need to know everything about him,"Jackie paused, carefully painting her nails. "But, from the few minutes I've spoken to him, I've picked up on some things. Just like almost every boy in Hawkins, Billy Hargrove is just some angry, cocky, rebellious teenager who thinks himself above everyone else."

"He's not cocky!" Kelly defended once again."He's just... confident."

"Overconfident."

"You can be so judgemental sometimes, Jackie."

Jackie shrugged, not really caring about the insult thrown by Kelly, partially because, at times, it was true.