ten

chapter ten

chapter ten

W H O R E

WHEN JACKIE RETURNED HOME THAT EVENING, SHE NOTICED THAT HER MOTHER WAS LAID ON THE COUCH, ASLEEP. Perfect, Jackie thought. She closed her door as quietly as possible, wincing at the small sound it produced.

She unintentionally smirked as she relived previous events with Billy Hargrove. She knew it was wrong to skip class, even more so with Billy himself. But, she couldn't deny that it was nothing short of exhilarating. And she was gonna get away with it.

With footsteps as light as a mouse's, Jackie successfully snuck her way upstairs into her room. Jackie let out a relieved breath of air once she silently shut her door.

Jackie did her regular night routine as if nothing she did today ever happened. However, when she fell asleep, she couldn't shake the lingering smile she held on her face.

Jackie woke up the next morning as she always did. After she took her shower, she put on some of her nicest jeans and wore one of her prettiest shirts. She wore her makeup like normal, except just applying a tad more than she usually did.

Looking at herself in the mirror, Jackie thought she looked pretty good. She was no Farrah Fawcett, but she thought she cleaned up nice. Jackie would never admit it out loud, but she was putting a little more effort in her looks hoping to impress Billy.

After finishing her morning routine, she brushed her teeth, grabbed her bags and headed downstairs.

As Jackie was about to leave, she was stopped by her mother who held a distorted look on her face due to the head pain of her hangover.

"Hold on", Her mother called out to her. Jackie's eyes rolled for she had no intention of speaking to her mother that morning. She slowly turned around to face Janet with a face that held no emotion. "Where the hell were you yesterday evening?"

Jackie's face didn't change as she attempted to lie. "What do you mea–", Janet interrupted her daughter, her eyes raging with anger.

"Jackie, cut the bullshit! Just for once! I know you didn't come home when you were supposed to!"

Her mother's outburst had caused Jackie to flinch.

"Mom, I don't know what you're talking about.", despite having already been caught, Jackie was determined to keep the rouse up. If she could convince her mother that she came home at the appropriate time, then there would be no problems. At least, not for her.

"Jackie.", Janet's voice was so low, it could barely be heard. "I'm going to give you ten seconds to tell me the truth. Because I have stone cold proof that you weren't where you were supposed to be. And by lying to me, you're digging yourself into a deeper hole."