five

chapter five

chapter five

R E C O N C I L I A T I O N

BILLY MANAGED TO GET JACKIE HOME IN ONE PIECE. She practically ran from Billy and to her front door. Jackie banged on the wooden door of her home. "Mom!" She yelled, still pounding. Five minutes passed and there was still no answer. Jackie's knuckles began to become sore from all of the knocking so she began slapping the door with her palms.

Jackie let out a loud grunt of frustration as she kicked the door as hard as she could for the last time. Stomping away, Jackie did the next thing she could think of.

She walked to the Wheeler's residence.

It was only a five minute walk to their home. The rain had let up and descended to a small drizzle. Arriving at the household, Jackie rung the doorbell, praying that someone would answer. She had almost lost hope after a minute had passed.

Two minutes later, Mrs. Wheeler swung open the door. Her eyes were tired and she was in her pajamas. Jackie had woken her up and the thought made her want to cower in embarrassment. Jackie hated intruding, but, at this point, she had nowhere else to go.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs Wheeler. I know it's late, bu–"

Mrs. Wheeler stopped her mid sentence. "Honey, come in. You're soaking wet."

Mrs. Wheeler ushered Jackie inside of her home with a comforting hand on her back. The warmth of the home immediately enveloped the shivering teen.

"I'll go get Nancy," Mrs. Wheeler headed up her stairs.

Just five minutes later, Nancy came down the steps. She took in Jackie's appearance and gasped. "Jackie, are you okay?", unintentionally staring at the dried blood that trailed from Jackie's left ear.

"Its been a terrible night," Jackie whispered, remembering all the unlucky happenings that took place only hours ago. "I'm sorry for showing up here so late. I'm locked out of the house," she attempted to laugh, trying to make light of the dim situation.

"Don't worry about it," Nancy said. "Just come upstairs. I'll let you use my shower, and I'll give you some clothes."

"Thank you so much."

The two girls made their way up the stairs and into Nancy's room. Nancy rummaged through her drawers, and found nice pink pajamas for Jackie.

"By the way, you don't have to worry about printing out those flyers anymore," Nancy said, handing Jackie the material. "I got Jonathan to do it instead."