twelve

chapter twelve

chapter twelve

U N D E R S T A N D

IT WAS THE NEXT DAY AFTER JACKIE'S FATHER MADE A SURPRISE VISIT HOME. Unlike all the other mornings, for obvious reasons, Jackie woke up with an additional pep to her step.

The situation wasn't perfect. Her father still ruined her family, and the heartache that her James caused still remained, but at least Jackie had some closure on everything. In addition, Jackie got to see her father again — she never thought she'd see the day.

Jackie couldn't wait to get to school and tell Jonathan all about her father. The two actually formed their bond over the absence of their fathers. Jackie just knew he would be happy for her.

But, when she got to school, Jonathan was nowhere to be seen. And, oddly enough, neither was Nancy, but Jackie knew it was no coincidence. But, she did find it to be strange how they were there one day, and disappeared together the day after. Steve surely can't be happy about this, Jackie thought to herself, knowing that Steve frequently grew jealous when it came to Jonathan and Nancy's close friendship that seemed to have spawned from nowhere.

And as if it were planned, Steve rounded the corner. Jackie rushed over to him, thinking that he'd know where to find Nancy who'd know where to find Jonathan.

"Steve, hey.", Jackie greeted the boy. Steve greeted Jackie with a warm smile. "Do you know where Nancy is — or Jonathan?"

At the mention of Nancy's name, Steve's smile fell quickly. Jackie noticed this immediately and placed her hand on the boy's shoulder. "What's wrong? Did something happen?", Jackie asked, staring into Steve's eyes with concern.

Steve, who appeared as if he were going to burst into tears, averted Jackie's gaze. He let out a long sigh, shifting his weight from leg to leg. Jackie could tell he was uncomfortable, letting her know that something was indeed wrong. "What happened, Steve?"

"Nancy...", Steve started with his voice cracking. "Nancy and I broke up a while ago. The day after the Halloween party, to be exact."

There was a somber and slightly awkward silence that loomed over the two. It lasted for about a full minute before Steve spoke again. "Gosh, I should've seen it coming. But, then again, how could I? Everything seemed perfect before that night. I had no idea. . ."

Jackie felt a pang of sympathy as the boy confided in her. She felt for Steve and she understood his heartbreak. She recalled the time when Nancy told her that she wasn't happy with her relationship with Steve. She mentioned that she felt it was all forced and they were holding on to a love that wasn't there. But, Jackie pushed that information to the back of her brain, thinking that the two would work through it. They always did.