four

chapter four

chapter four

H O L D I N G
O U T
FO R
A
H E R O

JACKIE TOOK THE LONG WAY HOME. IT WAS AS SHE ALWAYS DID WHEN SHE DESIRED ALONE TIME. She was listening to music when rain fell from the sky. It was a drizzle at first, but gradually it started to rain harder and harder.

Jackie speedily drove down the road, anxiously as the weather got worse outside. Not only was it pouring rain outside, it was also dark out, making it twice as difficult for Jackie to see. She knew that she probably should have slowed down, but she didn't.

With nothing but headlights to light her way, Jackie sped down an empty road. Large trees were lined up across both sides, the canopy casting shadows on the already dark road. Jackie gripped her steering wheel tightly. She squinted her eyes as it got more difficult to see where she was going.

In the blink of an eye, what looked like a deer jumped out onto the road, eyes glowing as Jackie's headlights shined in its face. Jackie swerved her car, avoiding the creature. But Jackie lost control of her vehicle, swearing as her car skidded across the road, crashing into one of the trees. Her windshield shattered into thousand of pieces, causing her to yelp, covering her fact as small shards of glass showered down onto her.

Jackie's ears were ringing. She brought a shaky finger up to her ear, feeling a warm liquid coat her fingertip. Her eardrum had burst, that much was clear.

Still so terribly shocked, Jackie could not move. And the only thing she could hear was the sound of her panicked breath. For a few moments, she just stared into space, focusing on the rapid rise and fall of her chest as she looked down at herself, trying to see the damage that had been done. Other than one or two small cuts on her hands and a bursted eardrum, she was fine.

It took a few moments for her to pull herself together. When she had, she unbuckled the seatbelt. Somehow the movement made her ear ring louder. She opened the car door, the rain immediately drenching her hair and clothes.

Jackie looked at the damage of her precious car and grimaced. It was totaled, the front half crumpled like paper, and bumper mangled and twisted on the ground.

"Damn it," she cursed, voice cracking as she looked ahead, not wanting to see the sight of her precious car so broken. And the thought that she very well could have died began to eat away at her nerves.

Then came the realization that her situation might have been more severe than she originally thought. She had just been in a car crash and now she was stranded in the dark with no way to communicate with anyone. Letting out a grunt of aggravation, Jackie kicked the side of her car, mumbling a string of profanities afterwards as her toe began to ache and throb.