eight

chapter eight

chapter eight

G R O U N D E D

JACKIE WAS A BIT NUMB. The events of the night were doing her brain in the more she replayed them in her head. Over and over again, Jackie scolded herself for her stupidity. Why did you have to kiss him, she asked herself many times, but the answer was never clear.

When she got home, her mother suffocated Jackie with many questions. Jackie couldn't even bring herself to say a word to her mother. She went straight to her room, ignoring Janet's pleads and calls.

Jackie slammed the door behind her and plopped down onto her bed laying her head down on her pillow as she tried her hardest to allow herself some sleep.

The very next morning, Jackie awoke with a raging headache. Jackie winced, clamping her eyes shut as her head throbbed. She sat up straight as the pain in her cranium increased. Her eyes went wide as she brought her hand up to her head.

Jackie rushed into her mother's bathroom, looking through her medicine compartment. She pulled out some pain killers, dumping two tablets into her hand. She tilted her head back as she let the medicine slip into her mouth. She swallowed the pills without any water, sighing afterwards.

The pain in her head slowly subsided, but it wasn't a significant amount. Jackie leant over the sink, suddenly feeling nauseous and that the contents of her stomach were soon to spill.

A knock was heard at the door, seconds later, Janet pushed through the door. "Jackie? You need to get ready to go to school."

"I know.", Jackie stood up straight, almost falling as she walked past her mother. Janet noticed this clumsiness, feeling a touch bit concerned for Jackie's well-being.

"Did you drink at this party last night?", Janet questioned, wondering if her daughter was hungover.

"Just one cup.", Jackie answered staring her mother in the face. The longer she looked at Janet, the more blurry her face appeared. Jackie shook her head, attempting to clear her vision, her attempt didn't work very well.

As Jackie was walking back to her room, she tripped on practically nothing. She took a tumble to the ground, landing on her hands and knees. Jackie was a complete mess. She scrambled to her feet, embarrassed by her own clumsiness.

Her mother, having heard Jackie fall, rushed to where Jackie was immediately. She found Jackie holding onto the wall for support.

"Are you okay?", Janet had a concerned look on her face as she stared Jackie in the eyes.

"No. I don't feel good at all.", Jackie admitted as the pain in her head began to throb once more. The painkillers she took earlier were proving to be useless.