nine

chapter nine

chapter nine

B E C A U S E
O F
B I L L Y

JACKIE HAD STAYED HOME FOR A TOTAL OF TWO DAYS BEFORE HER MOTHER DECIDED IT WAS TIME FOR HER TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL. Without a car to drive, Jackie had to be dropped off by her mother; in her book, it was totally embarrassing.

Things between Jackie and Janet remained as tense as they had been in the past few days. On the ride to school, hardly any words were exchanged between them.

As they pulled up, Jackie left swiftly, leaving before her mother even got to open her mouth so say anything. Janet shook her head, wondering what she had done to deserve this treatment from Jackie. They never really had these type of problems before. Jackie's newfound bad attitude was something foreign to Janet and she didn't know how to handle it — not alone.

Jackie kept her head down as she entered the school building. She headed towards her locker, not missing the stares and whispers that increased as she neared her locker. People around her gossiped, undoubtedly whispering about the events that took place on Halloween night.

Jackie caught a group of girls eyeing her in disgust, whispering amongst one another. Annoyance crept through Jackie as her lips formed a frown. After she pulled her books out of her locker, she slammed the door shut, causing the group of girls to jump.

"If there's something you would like to share, please don't hold back.", Jackie growled, facing them. The blood underneath her skin began to boil.

The girls clearly weren't expecting Jackie to say anything at all. They all rolled their eyes, and all at once, they walked passed Jackie. "Slut", she heard one of them say. Jackie's chest tightened as the girls disappeared from view.

With her head down, Jackie roamed the halls, trying to reach her first class. On the way there, Jackie was stopped by Nancy Wheeler.

"Jackie.", Nancy greeted, warily. "Hey, you missed two days of school. Are you okay?"

There was something about Nancy's tone of voice that let Jackie know that the Wheeler knew all about the fight that went down between her and Kelly, despite her drunkenness. But, how could she not? Everyone who was there was talking about it, finding Jackie and Kelly's brawl the most interesting thing to have happened at the party.

"I could be better.", Jackie mumbled, unable to look Nancy in the eyes.

"Look", Nancy started, Jackie already knowing where the conversation was headed. "I heard about what happened with you and Kelly. . ."