Wow, That's a Weird-Looking Dog

AN: This story takes places after Lodestar, before Nightfall (on the timeline, but includes some characterization from after) , and after The Last Olympian, before The Lost Hero.

SPOILERS FOR LODESTAR AND THE LAST OLYMPIAN

I am not Rick Riordan or Shannon Messenger and do not own these characters.

Sophie Foster nodded in time to the music blaring in her ears through her iPod. Human music was refreshing, sometimes.  It was the only thing that had stayed constant.  She was wandering the streets of New York, trying to calm down after a long and hectic day. Her human sister, Amy Foster, had been light leaped to the Lost Cities for her own protection. Alden had taken Amy to his office, to explain everything about their world to her. Sophie had slipped away and borrowed Alden's blue pathfinder to take break in the loud familiarity of human cities.

She turned the corner and almost ran into a couple holding hands who walked out of a candy store in front of her. The guy had messy black hair, and his sea-green eyes sparkled as he laughed at the girl, who was trying to lick a spot of chocolate on her upper lip. The girl had dirty-blond hair and eyes made of steel.

As Sophie stepped aside quickly to avoid them, the girl turned around. As soon as she caught sight of Sophie, her eyes widened, and she stepped toward her. Sophie stepped back, unsure of why this random girl was so interested in her. Sophie cautiously lowered her mental shields in an attempt to read the girl's mind, but slammed them back up instantly. This city had so many humans, she couldn't listen to one without being swamped by all the others.

The girl took another step forward, but this time, Sophie was unable to back up any further against the wall behind her. Another step, and the girl was right in front of her, the guy staring awkwardly after her.

"Hello, I'm Annabeth Chase." The girl introduced herself, sticking her hand. "You are not normal."

"Umm... I'm Sophie." Sophie decided not to include her last name and ignored Annabeth's outstretched hand, wary of the stranger.

"Have you ever been attacked?" Annabeth questioned, stepping even closer. The guy in the background looked ready to bolt from embarrassment.

"Uh..." Sophie was extremely confused. If only Mr. Forkle had taught her that mind trick that he used to deter Gethen. She debated running away and leaping, or drawing Annabeth to someplace high so Sophie could teleport. But Annabeth was only human.  Sophie could deal with a human.

"It's OK." Annabeth murmured, her eyes sympathetic. "I understand."

Sophie laughed nervously. Sure... like you've been attacked by ogres and dwarves. "I think I better go now."

Annabeth said a word in another language, and Sophie's polyglot ability automatically translated it. If she had used it, Edaline probably would have washed her mouth out with soap.  And not the good tasting edible kind they washed the saber-tooth cats with.

When Annabeth saw her face, she realized that Sophie had understood it. "Oh gods," she whispered. "So powerful."

Sophie backed up, trying to get into the street and out of the alleyway and almost jumped out of her skin when the guy came out of nowhere and grabbed her arm.

"Are you sure?" He whispered to Annabeth.

"Positive."

He grabbed a dog whistle that strangely looked like it was made of ice from his pocket and blew it. Sophie didn't understand what he was doing. Surely a dog couldn't find them there? In the middle of this huge city?  And even if it could, what use would it be?

Suddenly, a large black dog appeared from the shadows in the back of the alleyway. Sophie squealed and jumped backwards, almost falling on the asphalt as the boy held onto her arm.

"Good job Mrs. O'Leary!" The raven-haired boy congratulated the car-sized dog. And before she could drop him with her inflicting, the boy dragged her toward the dog and pulled her on. Annabeth hopped on behind them, and New York disappeared.

Instead of being pulled away with the light like light leaping, somehow the dog sucked them into the shadow. It felt eerily similar to Tam's ability as a Shade and the feeling of shadowflux. Wait. Was the dog somehow a Shade. Were all of these people elves?

Published November 17, 2017

Edited June 7, 2020