Why Must the Best-Laid Plans Go Awry?

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Sophie lay in her bed in the Big House, mentally counting down the hours until the Neverseen came for her. Annabeth and Nyssa had crafted a magical tracker that was hidden in a hair tie. She fiddled with it in her hands, stretching and looping the band around her fingers.

The tie was a good analogy for her life, she supposed. All stiff and rigid, right when you get it. Until you stretch it. Then you keep stretching, and stretching, hoping the band won't break, hoping it will be able to perform its job properly for one more day. Eventually it does break. And you discard it, throw it away, even if it had served you faithfully until that point, you don't preserve it. You don't keep it, and honor it.

Sophie wondered how long it would take before she was stretched past her breaking point. How much time did she have left before she was thrown out like a broken hair band, useless, unable to perform her sole purpose in life.

Then she sat up. The four hours were up. The Neverseen were there for her.

She snuck out of the Big House, trying to be as quiet as possible. Chiron had told her that Dionysius would feel her leave camp, but Chiron would convince him that it was just a camper sneaking out to the store 3 miles away for some good old-fashioned junk food.

She stood by the tree at the camp barrier and fiddled with her dagger bracelet. She had found small letters embroidered on the side of the bracelet, and engraved on the dagger.

προκαλώ

Annabeth told her it was pronounced prokaló.

Defy.

Sophie had told Annabeth about her Enhancing ability, and Annabeth and Nyssa made her another friendship bracelet imbued with magic. This one kept her power inside her fingers, so she couldn't enhance someone unless she concentrated on it. She wouldn't accidentally enhance her kidnappers.

Thump. Thump. Thump. Peering beyond the tree, Sophie saw two pale figures loom out of the darkness. Her heart skipped a beat. Dimitar. And a soldier. Sophie came out from beyond the tree, her hands raised above her head.

"Take me." Her voice cracked. "I can't let you hurt them." That much was true. Even though these campers had treated her with disdain, she didn't want them to die. She didn't want the campers to lose any of their family. She knew how that felt.

Sophie prayed Percy would remember his cue. The ogres grabbed her and King Dimitar slug her over his shoulder. Right on cue, Percy burst out of the bushed with Riptide drawn.

"Let go of her!" he shouted, swinging his sword haphazardly, showing none of the skill Sophie knew he possessed. But that was the plan. Sophie sighed in relief. Dimitar quickly suppressed his attack and pinned his arms to his sides. All according to plan. Then it all went wrong.

Instead of throwing him over his other shoulder, dimitar clubbed Percy over the back of his head with his fist. Sophie winced in sympathy. Then Dimitar dropped Percy on the ground.

And left him.

Not good.

The plan was that Percy would be brought with her and help her break her out. She sent a telepathic call to Annabeth, whose mind had been freed from the strange shields after Sophie poured her heart out to her.

Help! They've left Percy here. I'm going to have to go by myself. Goodbye, Annabeth. I'll be back. I'll escape.

She took a deep breath.

I swear it on the River Styx.

AN: You got your update!  Who's the best?  Don't answer that.  Anyway, 813 VIEWS!!!!  I am so excited!!  Thank you so much for your support and tolerance of my short chapters.  I am working on making them longer.

Comment!

Vote!

Follow!

Have a nice day!