The invitation to Hogwarts

The next day, Harry woke up and recalled the eventful night. He remembered the most crazy part of it all - he was a wizard. Last night, his parents (he found out their names are James and Lily) explained all about magic to him and Evangeline. His father is a 'pureblood' while his mom is a 'Muggleborn' (muggles are non-magical humans and muggleborn means a witch or a wizard with non-magical parents). In turn, they were told about the psychic world. 

Harry took a shower and went downstairs. As usual, breakfast was already prepared (there was hardly any time he ever woke earlier than Evangeline). Today's breakfast includes sushi, omelette, cinnamon sticks and french toast with kaya spread and maple syrup. The drink provided today was lime juice. His parents, with Evangeline, were already downstairs. "Woke up at last sleepy head" Evangeline said cheerfully and everyone laughed. Breakfast was delicious and Harry's parents agreed too.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Having agreed that it was best if James and Lily remained hidden, they went upstairs. Evangeline then opened to the door. A giant of a man was standing in the doorway. His face was almost completely hidden by a long, shaggy mane of hair and a wild, tangled beard, but you could make out his eyes, glinting like black beetles under all the hair.

The giant squeezed his way into the hut, stooping so that his head just brushed the ceiling. Making his way to the sofa in the living room, he sat and asked "Where's Harry?". Harry, hearing the giant man's booming voice, came out at once. "An' here's Harry!" said the giant. Harry looked up into the fierce, wild, shadowy face and saw that the beetle eyes were crinkled in a smile. "Las' time I saw you, you was only a baby," said the giant. "Yeh look a lot like yet dad, but yeh've got yet mom's eyes." "Mind me for asking, but who are you" Harry said before he could control himself. The giant chuckled. "True, I haven't introduced meself. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts." He held out an enormous hand and shook Harry's whole arm.

Evangeline, who had disappeared to the kitchen while they were talking, returned with a cup of peppermint tea. The giant swallowed it in one gulp. When he was done, Harry spoke again. "I'm sorry, but I still don't really know who you are."

"Call me Hagrid," he said, "everyone does. An' like I told yeh, I'm Keeper of Keys at Hogwarts -- yeh'll know all about Hogwarts, o' course. "Er -- no," said Harry. Hagrid looked shocked. "Sorry," Harry said quickly.

"Sorry?" barked Hagrid. "It's the Dursleys that should be sorry! I knew yeh weren't gettin' yer letters but I never thought yeh wouldn't even know abou' Hogwarts, fer cryin' out loud! Did yeh never wonder where yet parents learned it all?"

"All what?" asked Harry. "ALL WHAT?" Hagrid thundered. "Now wait jus' one second!" He had leapt to his feet. In his anger he seemed to fill the whole hut. "Do you mean ter tell me," he growled, "that you -- you! -- knows nothin' abou' -- about ANYTHING?"

Harry thought this was going a bit far. He had been to school, after all, and his marks weren't bad. "I know some things," he said. "I can, you know, do math and stuff." But Hagrid simply waved his hand and said, "About our world, I mean. Your world. My world. Yer parents' world."

"What world?"

Hagrid looked as if he was about to explode. "DURSLEY!" he boomed. Hagrid stared wildly at Harry. "But yeh must know about yet mom and dad," he said. "I mean, they're famous. You're famous." "What? My -- my mom and dad weren't famous, were they?"

"Yeh don' know... yeh don' know..." Hagrid ran his fingers through his hair, fixing Harry with a bewildered stare. "Yeh don' know what yeh are?" he said finally. "What?" Harry and Evangeline said together. 

"Harry -- yer a wizard." Hagrid said.

"-- a what?" gasped Harry. "A wizard, o' course," said Hagrid, sitting back down on the sofa, which groaned and sank even lower, "an' a thumpin' good'un, I'd say, once yeh've been trained up a bit. With a mum an' dad like yours, what else would yeh be?" An' I reckon it's abou' time yeh read yer letter."