The End-of-year Feast and Going Home

A man stood waiting in the room. He was smirking. “So, we meet at last, Potter” he said. His voice had a tone of cruelty in it. He frowned at Evangeline. “Who are you?” he snapped. “None of your business” she replied coolly. “Don’t give me cheek, girl” he growled. “I’m giving you one last chance, who are you?” “I said it before, I’ll say it again, none of your business” she snapped back. A cruel smile played on his face. “I warned you” he said and stepped forward, brandishing his wand. Before he could utter a word, though, Evangeline yelled “Petrificus totalus” pointing her wand at him. His arms fell to his side and he collapsed, stiff as wood.

“How dare you” screeched a female voice and a woman emerged. She said the countercurse and he rose again. “Before I kill you” he said “I need Potter’s help here”

“No you won’t!” Evangeline said and took out a bottle of water. The man laughed. “What’s that for, to quench your thirst?” he sneered. “No” she said and threw it at the man and the woman who looked like him. Harry was willing to bet that they were siblings. They screamed in pain.

The door burst open to reveal Dumbledore, Ron and Hermione. Dumbledore took one look at the pair screaming and on the floor and his look changed to one of murderous fury. Before he could do anything ,however, Evangeline banished them.

“Evangeline, what was the thing you threw at them?” Harry asked. “Well, when the star ball broke, I made all the liquid come into a bottle. I figured we might need it and it really did” she said with a sheepish look.

“Good thinking Evangeline!” Ron cheered. “Professor Dumbledore, do you know who they are?” Hermione inquired. “Yes” Dumbledore said. “They are Amycus and Alectro Carrow, they are Death Eaters” he said.

There was much celebration afterwards. Those who admired Harry now idolize Hermione and Ron as well, but even more was Evangeline, especially when Dumbledore awarded them each 100 points for Gryffindor and 120 for Evangeline and Neville 50 points. Even before the reat of the Quidditch matches, it was clear that the winner is Gryffindor. And after the matches where Gryffindor won each one, they were even more delighted. Although Dumbledore and Nicholas decided to destroy the Sorcerer’s stone, it was all for the good.

During the end-of-year feast, the hall was decked out in the colours red and gold with a lion (the Gryffindor mascot) to celebrate the house’s victory. Dumbledore stood to give a speech.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts....

"Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Ravenclaw, with three hundred and fifty-two; Slytherin has four hundred and twenty-six and lastly Gryffindor has got a stunning a thousand and fifty eight, making it the most points any house has ever got in the entire of Hogwart’s history!”

Someone standing outside the Great Hall might well have thought some sort of explosion had taken place, so loud was the noise that erupted from the Gryffindor table. Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood up to yell. Even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the downfall of Slytherin.

Harry had almost forgotten that the exam results were still to come, but come they did. To their great surprise, both he and Ron passed with good marks; Evangeline, of course, had the best grade of the first years, with Hermione following closely behind her as second. Even Neville scraped through, his good Herbology mark making up for his abysmal Potions one. They had hoped that Goyle, who was almost as stupid as he was mean, might be thrown out, but he had passed, too. It was a shame, but as Ron said, you couldn't have everything in life.

And suddenly, their wardrobes were empty, their trunks were packed, Neville's toad was found lurking in a corner of the toilets; notes were handed out to all students, warning them not to use magic over the holidays ("I always hope they'll forget to give us these," said Fred Weasley sadly); Hagrid was there to take them down to the fleet of boats that sailed across the lake; they were boarding the Hogwarts Express; talking and laughing as the countryside became greener and tidier; eating Bettie Bott's Every Flavor Beans as they sped past Muggle towns; pulling off their wizard robes and putting on jackets and coats; pulling into platform nine and three-quarters at King's Cross Station.

It took quite a while for them all to get off the platform. A wizened old guard was up by the ticket barrier, letting them go through the gate in twos and threes so they didn't attract attention by all bursting out of a solid wall at once and alarming the Muggles.

"You must come and stay this summer," said Ron, "all three of you -- I'll send you an owl."

"Thanks," said Harry, "I'll need something to look forward to"  though he was secretly looking forward to seeing his parents again. People jostled them as they moved forward toward the gateway back to the Muggle world. Some of them called:

"Bye, Harry!"

"See you, Potter!"

"Still famous," said Ron, grinning at him.

He, Ron, Evangeline and Hermione passed through the gateway together. "There he is, Mom, there he is, look!"

It was Ginny Weasley, Ron's younger sister, but she wasn't pointing at Ron.

"Harry Potter!" she squealed. "Look, Mom! I can see…”

"Be quiet, Ginny, and it's rude to point."

Mrs. Weasley smiled down at them.

"Busy year?" she said.

"Very," said Evangeline and Harry. "Thanks for the fudge and the sweater, Mrs. Weasley”

"Oh, it was nothing, dear."

With smiles and laughter, Evangeline helped Harry teleport with her back to their home in Forks.