CHAPTER ONE

(Anna's Pov)

There was nothing more in the world that I loved than riding my bicycle. Nothing compared to the feeling of the wind brushing against my face, causing my hair to dance, fresh air to fill my lungs as my feet paddled forward, leading me to whichever path I desired.

A smile instantly sprang onto my lips.

Although, my bike wasn't necessarily the most attractive or comfortable bike there was to be found, I loved it. It was a painted a bright red, a small basket was attached to the front, the handles were wide with the grip slowly peeling away and the dark brown seat was wide and tough. 

If you were to look at it, you could easily tell it wasn't worth much. It was second-hand, a present I had received from my father on my fourteenth birthday. One of the only presents he had gifted me with, and the reason being he wasn't bothered to drop me off at school, he resorted with buying me a bike I could ride and make my own way there.

Regardless of that, I still greatly loved it.

A soft sigh escaped my parted mouth as I peddled down with much more force, feeling a gush of wind hit me in the face. The weather was awfully cold. The sun was nowhere to be seen and grey colored clouds had taken over the once blue sky. I inwardly sighed, knowing rain (or even snow) would come falling from the sky sooner or later. I needed to be home before that happened.

Huffing, I peddled faster, going down the familiar route that would lead me back home. I saw the same homes, same things, and mostly the same people. Such as Margret, and elder woman that had always called out a greeting to me years ago and had continued to do so, every time I rode past her gardening.

I glanced her way, seeing her smile and give me a small wave.

"Pedala più veloce, tesoro. Sta per iniziare a piovere!" She hollered.

You'll want to be peddling home faster, dear. It's going to start raining soon!

I nodded at her words, raising my voice to shout back; "Si, grazie per avermelo detto!"

I will! Thanks for the heads up.

I heard her distant laughter, that faded into the wind the further I peddled away. I sucked in a sharp breath, fleetingly glancing down at the basket which held the freshly baked bread, making sure it was covered up best as possible in chance of rain actually falling from the sky.

As usual, my mother would send me to the town's bakery shop, to buy two loafs of freshly made bread, at least twice in a week. It had become a routine for me, and was one of the only chances I had to ride my bike through town.

I noticed that I was a road away from home, and blew out a breath filled with relief when noticing rain hadn't come barrelling down from the sky. Just a few more houses to pass by before I would take a right hand turn and reach my home. 

Without realizing, my lips had slipped into a frown.

Back home where my mother would send me to most likely wash the dishes, or busy me with chore of some sort. Oh how I longed to simply sit and relax, possibly finish reading whatever book Amy had gotten from the library for me. Even catch up on watching my favourite Italian soap opera with Amy.

But that wasn't how my life worked. It just was never that easy and I knew it would never be.

My eyes landed on the place I called my home and I swallowed past the urge to peddle right past it, but I knew better than to ever do something stupid as that. So, doing as I always did, I slowed down my pace and rode my bike into the driveway to our house. A soft sigh left my lips, and I hesitantly hopped off of it.