CHAPTER FOURTEEN

(Anna's Pov)

My movement was fast. My entire body shivered as I stepped out of the bathroom, wrapped in only a towel that exposed much of my skin. The end of my strands of hair were immensely wet, and out, tickling the skin of my neck. I needed to be dried and dressed as soon as possible.

I was running late. If I didn't get out of the house sooner or later, I'd end up having an extremely late arrival to Bible study and I couldn't dare risk for that to happen. That would mean attention, a lot of it. And inevitably a scolding or warning from Mrs Snow. I already had a feeling she didn't like me from the glares and looks she'd send me. I didn't want to add another reason to her dislike list.

Moving as fast as I possibly could, I pulled on the red t-shirt, followed by pair of leggings to keep my legs warm and a long, thick black skirt. I always resented the way I dressed. I didn't understand why I couldn't own a pair of jeans like other women outside this town did.

When my mother, Amy and I would go into the city, I envied the women wearing jeans, trousers and pants. I wanted them too and once I was brave enough to ask my mother for a pair, she ended up getting incredibly angry at me, asking me if I saw any other women in this town who owned a pair. My response was of course a no, that answered my question.

I somewhat understood the other traditions this town withheld, but the no trouser rule didn't make sense to me whatsoever. It just sometimes wished this town wasn't so strict and prohibited. The only time I didn't mind the no pants rule, was in summer and spring.

The season for dresses.

Shaking off my irrelevant thoughts, I brushed a quick comb through my wet hair and decided there was no point bothering with it. It'd end up drying throughout the day and I would have to make do with it being out.

My hands reached forward, grasping onto the shawl hanging from the hook on the wall. I pulled it off and hurriedly put it on, pulling my hair out when I had finished fixing it up. I picked up my boots and hurriedly tugged them, not bothering with tying them on properly.

With a quick glance over myself, I made a dash for the stairs and didn't bother eating breakfast, well brunch. I had overslept, and woken up at twelve in the afternoon. Bible Study started exactly at one o'clock and there was only ten minutes until that.

Without bothering with anything, I hurriedly unlocked my chained bike and patted away the small amount of rain which had fallen upon it last night. My hands gripped the handle bars and with my feet placed on the peddle, I slowly peddled my way out of the driveway, releasing a heavy sigh when I began peddling down the somewhat dry and wet roads.

Minutes passed and I eventually rolled up at the front of Mrs Snows house. I could feel nerves and the wave anxiousness float about in my stomach, making it feel funny. I wanted nothing more than to peddle past this house and skip it, because I didn't want to be here. Heck, it was the last place on earth I'd ever want to be.

But there was nothing I could do about that.

So forcing myself to park my bike in the front-garden of Mrs Snow house, I sighed and prepared myself for the inevitable scolding and the numerous looks I'd receive.

There was no running. No place for me to go even if I did decide on riding out of this place. I'd have to face this, there was no other option.

With one last deep breath, I gently knocked on the door, secretly hoping nobody would hear and I'd have an excuse to ride out of here.

But then the door opened.

Luck was never on my side.

---