CHAPTER SIXTEEN

(Anna's Pov)

The cold air brushed right past me, making me close my eyes and relish it. I had just left Mrs Ricci's bakery, two fresh loafs of bread wrapped and sitting in my bike's basket. The scent of the loafs was refreshing and made my stomach rumble in hunger. But it didn't put my mind at ease.

Normally, riding my bicycle helped cheer me up or relax me if I was irritated. However, today it didn't work in the slightest. There were two parts of me. One that was fuming with anger, shock and betrayal. And the other which was overtaken by nerves, need and anxiousness.

Reason why betrayal was souring inside of me, and didn't disappear as easily as I wished it would, was because of the the sight I had saw last night.

I couldn't believe Amy. I couldn't believe that she was hiding something so huge from me, and for how long, I had no clue. She was sneaking around with someone, that I could easily tell. That someone gave her love-bites across her neck, possibly the phone she secretly had and most likely skipped Bible study to see.

She had a boyfriend.

It all made sense now. The way she would smile so brightly when she saw her phone's screen, the way she'd let small giggles slip from her lips and the way she would overly dress up, stealing my mother's make up to gussy up on days she'd go to hang out with her 'friends'. It was as if an imaginary puzzle was solved in my mind, realizing my sister wasn't exactly who I thought she was.

I wanted to confront Amy. Last night I had gotten so close to doing so, but decided not to when I realized I wasn't one to exactly talk. Because if I did end up confronting Amy for sneaking around with a male before marriage, I instantly thought of Justin and I.

Although it had only been barely over twelve hours since I had last saw him, my mind continued to rewind what went down in stables and what happened between us. We started something new that moment, something I believe was inevitable and wouldn't end as easily as it started.

I was nervous about it all, truthfully. I still secretly feared someone would eventually find out about Roman and I, and what would follow after that - God, I didn't want even think about it. But still, the fear didn't chase away the anxiousness, the need I was facing to see Roman again. And lucky for me, I would be going to the stables later on. 

My feet began peddling slower as I rode into the driveway of my home. I sighed softly, parking my bike against its stand and chained it to it. Hopping off from the bicycle seat, I picked up the bread loafs from the basket and my feet carried me over the closed front-door. I gently knocked on the door, waiting for a few seconds before my mother's face came into view.

She stepped back, letting me in and took the breads from my extended hand.

"Where's the change?" She questioned, shifting the loafs of bread in her hands.

"Oh," I muttered, pulling the few spare dollars that weren't used. "I nearly forgot... It's five dollars or so."

"Grazie," She muttered and turned on her heels, leading herself into the kitchen. My stomach decided to rumble again in hunger and I didn't hesitate to follow behind my mother.

"Mama, I'm hungry." I told her when we entered the kitchen. She had instantly began cutting one of the loafs into slices, placing the other on the side.

"Then make yourself something," She flatly told me. I frowned, leaning forward on the counter, standing right across from her.

She glanced up at me, sighing. "There's left overs from last night's dinner."

I perked up at the thought of last night's meal, which was golden, vegetable rice. I sure wouldn't mind eating that again. 

"Yes please." I perked up. My mother smiled, rolling her eyes as she gestured over to the fridge.