Chapter 20 - Papillon

Marinette P.O.V.

I followed the man into the door, too scared to look back at any of my classmates. The loud alarm and bright red lights were seeming to never end, and each time it went off I felt of jolt of fear. After everything that's happened in the past couple of days, I didn't know what to expect next. 

The door closed behind me, as I entered what seemed to be a sort of elevator. There were buttons on the right, and bars along the side of every wall. The man stood next to me, completely still and he looked straight forward, not a single hint of any emotion on his face.

He then pressed one of the buttons, and I felt the room drop. It wasn't quick, but it for sure was noticeable. I gripped one of the bars for balance, and looked at my feet to make sure they were stable.

A small ding sounded, and the door slid open once more. Though this time it wasn't the hallway we once were at, it seemed to be a sort of safe room I guess. (A/N It is not the one her class is in. Its different, but it looks exactly the same) 

The man stepped in and I followed, looking around in confusion. Did something bad happen? Was I in danger? I continued to ask myself, holding my arms close to my chest.

The lights down here weren't red, and the alarm no longer rang through the speakers. It was all just so...quiet. 

"Marinette?" A yell came from around a corner. Maman and Papa appeared and they ran toward me, arms stretched out. My eyes widened and I ran to hug them both. "Oh, honey, we were so worried about you! Are you alright? Do you need anything? There's water and food if you want. Oh dear, we'll never let you out of our sight again."

Maman's frantic vibe had me worried, so I looked at Papa, "Um, what's going on, exactly?" I swear the room felt just like Mr. Damocles's office when I found out I was a princess. They looked at each other in hesitation, then sighed.

"We don't want to scare you, but do you remember me telling you about how we fled to Paris to hide from the assassin?" Papa whispered, and I nodded. "Well, before we didn't know who it was, until today. He has reportedly found a way into the palace, allowing us to apprehend his identity."

I gulped. 

"I believe you know him as, Gabriel Agreste," Maman said, her tone sounding weak and scared. I almost choked on air. 

Gabriel Agreste? The Gabriel Agreste? I thought to myself, He was after my family? But why? What could he want from us, and why would he kill someone?

"A-Are you serious?" I asked and looked at Maman in worry. She meekly nodded her head, looking at the ground.

"We didn't want to believe it ourselves, but the evidence is on the security footage," Papa answered, making me feel dizzy. The love of my life's father is trying to kill my family! How and why?

"What did we even do to him?"

"I'm not sure, dear, but we still haven't caught him. He's using some sort of broach that calls to butterflies, and they distract whoever we send to capture Gabriel. If you want to see, the cameras' screens are over there."

Butterfly broach? That sounds awfully familiar...

I hugged my parents once more, and walked to wear Papa had pointed to. On the wall there were a set of televisions showing live feed of different areas of the palace. The one on the bottom right showed Gabriel Agreste, clutching something on his collarbone, and extending his other arm in front of him. When he did, a swarm of white butterflies zoomed to the soldiers, and surrounded their faces.

The men waved their arms, trying to shoo the bugs away, leaving Gabriel enough time to move closer to our location, the bunker I guess.

Right when he let go of what he was holding tightly against his chest, I froze. There was a purple pin, with four white wings extending in different directions. It was an identical match to the broach I had seen when we first fought Hawkmoth, and it was a good explanation for the butterflies.

"G-Gabriel Agreste, is H-Hawkmoth," I breathed, and watched with close eyes to where he was off to next.

(A/N Okay here we go, another chapter. I hope you like it because I'm struggling with time right now. I still have so much stuff to pack and do, so please please please forgive me. Hopefully later I can update another quick chapter, because this one was kind of a filler. Thank you so much for supporting me, and let me know what you think of the new cover for the book. If you like the old one I'd be happy to put it back. Au revoir, mon amour! Bonne chance!)

-Lennie