6.9

richie

richie woke up to a cold feeling by his side. he groggily opened his eyes and yawned, squinting through the sunlight that was seeping in from the window. richie looked around the room and found that everyone was still sleeping except bill. bill was no longer next to him keeping him warm. richie slowly stood up and stretched, adjusting his crooked yellow hoodie and sweatpants. he carefully made his way to the staircase, being as quiet as possible as he climbed the steps, trying not to wake anyone else. looking around the kitchen, richie saw evidence that someone had been up, but there was no one to be found. richie walked slowly around the island and saw an empty sugar packet on the countertop. there was also a kettle full of hot water. the boy slowly made his way out the back door to the balcony overlooking a lush forest. the leaves were full and bright green, having just come out of spring. richie turned and saw his bill sitting calmly on a large wooden rocker. bill said nothing, just blew on his tea and scooted to the side, allowing richie to squeeze in next to him.
richie obeyed, quietly sitting in the small space next to his friend as bill put his arm around richie and swung richie's legs over his own.
everything felt so at peace compared to the past few hectic days.
the pair rocked back and forth, richie leaning his curly haired head up against bill's shoulder. richie smiled genuinely, and for the first time in months he was happy.

~

it's not over yet, hoes