chapter 11

"Is everything okay?"

We were a private family, things that happened in the house weren't discussed outside of it. One year Angelica and I thought we could avoid the sadness of her birthday by going out to eat without our father. He was not happy when we got home to say the least.

"Yes." I answered, leaning my hand on the armrest, attempting to calm my rapidly beating heart.

Didn't work.

Droplets of rain began to fall, a slight drizzle soon turning into a windy downfall.

It was raining the day Angelica was born.

Despite me thinking Eros and I made quite a bit of progress today, I knew it'd still be a while before he completely opened up to me, and me to him, so when he spoke again, I was more than surprised.

"I'm walking you to the door," Eros announced, as my house came into view, a wide array of brightly colored balloons that hung on the porch, next to my tall father that stood there, leaning up against the doorway of the front door, a glass of brandy in a hand.

Why was he standing out here?

Hell, I took three deep breaths, I had to calm myself, I could not appear this way in front of him. Even when the car was parked, my hands struggled to unclip my belt.

But Eros was out of the car and opening my door before I even grabbed my bag. "Is that your father?" He grabbed my forearm, roughly pulling me out of the car and slammed his car door, tugging me to follow him to the house, pulling me through the wet world, a safety in the chaos.

Eros didn't know about my father- no one really did. They all just assumed he had struggled with his girls, they didn't know what happened behind the closed doors.

"That's my father Eros," I affirmed, coming to stop in front of him, where Eros extended his ringless hand with a cheerful smile.

"Hello Mr. Black, my name is Eros, I'm one of Alice's-" Eros' eyes flickered over me momentarily, "friends."

He said it with permanent displeasure, obviously only saying it for the sake of my father.

My father didn't take Eros hand, instead, eyed it warily. "I didn't know Alice had friends- more than one that is," he turned his attention to me. "You already have one in the kitchen."

I made a face. "I only have one friend," I felt Eros' steely gaze, "and I know for a fact-" I faltered.

Would my friend- my only friend, Ryder freaking Thompson invade my privacy the one time I minded he did? Would he think that this was a kindness, and not a pain in my behind? Could he be that pure?

"Who's here?" I asked, shifting from foot to foot, scrutinizing my father's, unexpected well-groomed appearance, from his neatly parted hair down to his freshly polished dress shoes.

"Ryder," my father beamed, "didn't know you guys were fucking."

My jaw- dropped. "We aren't fucking," I spluttered, the word sour in my mouth. "I'm not dating anyone Dad, nor am I fucking anyone!"

My father crossed his arms and peered down at me with accusing eyes. "Well if you guys aren't fucking, get rid of him."

Gritting my teeth, I moved past my father into our lonely home, not very surprised to see banners strung across the walls leading to the kitchen, blue and green, Angelica's favorite colors.

I could've spotted his mess of curly dark brown hair anywhere. He was hunched over a lovely cake, placing a few stray candles on the top. "Ryder," I groaned, titling my head as he turned to face me, a sheepish grin pulling at his lips.