chapter 21

It was raining

 It was raining. It was bordering on pouring with ear-splitting thunder and blinding lighting, but he was here. Eros came to the spot only we knew, perhaps hoping for solace, or for me to come and find him.

And so I came.

Weaving my way from the dripping leaves of the tall trees, I entered our sanctuary: a grassy field bordering the ocean, harsh, black waves crashing against the rocky cliff. A somehow less than perfect area, but a holy place for Eros and I. My eyes widened as I searched the dark area for him, cursing the storm for blocking the little light the moon would've given me.

A flash of lighting hit the ocean, illuminating the sole body on the cliff.

With his back to me, Eros sat Indian style a few meters from the edge of the cliff, the wind whipping his clothes, whipping me, but he— Eros was solid force on the damp earth, still against the anger of the thrashing ocean and whipping rain.

Carefully crossing the field, I came behind him, his soaking shirt and hunched body, standing over him, watching his hair flop over his forehead and fists continue to clench and unclench. His head lifted and he regarded the ocean with a blank stare.

"I knew you'd find me."

I heard a short, dry laugh pierce the air and came to the realization that was me, Alice Black, laughing at the words of her best friend. Squatting down, I came to sit next to my best friend, for my rain-soaked hand to find his in the slippery mud and hold his close to me.

"Why are you here Eros?" I asked softly, turning my head to him, watching as the rain ran down his angelic features, his sharp cheekbones more pronounced against the shadows of the night, the trickle of rain trailing down to his bobbing pronounced Adam's apple.

He swallowed and tightened his hold on my hand. "Three years ago today I lost my parents."

Everything halted. The sound of the rain on the ocean, the feeling of his hand clasped in mine, the vision of his face in front of me all dissipated as my heart broke for my best friend.

I couldn't even being to imagine the pain he was in, the distraught feeling of helplessness knowing that there was nothing he could to bring them back, the pain of being alone in the world with no parents to introduce a girl to, to meet Ryder, to see the home we found another home in in, the life he was living.

He continued without me needing to answer, "It was a night much like this in Virginia, rainy and wet and dark and they came to pick me—" his voice shattered as he fell to a convulsion of sobs, body heaving with the effort to contain the sadness he was trying to expel.

"Eros," I whispered into the cool air, my fingertips weaving into his dampened hair as I puled him closer to me. "You don't need to tell me."

Automatically he retracted from my hold, his eyes alight with passion and determination. "Yes I do Alice," he reassured me. "I said we were friends didn't I. I need you to know. For fucks sake, don't you understand Alice? I need you."