chapter 28

The car ride home was almost silent, either from our exhaustion, interest in novels or more likely, the promise Eros and I made to each other: we couldn't be friends until our feelings were gone

It was fairly comfortable for the most part, the radio softly playing today's top hits in the background, the ocean on our left, and the sound of pages turning as Eros and I devoured our books that we failed to read coming and during our four day trip, hours spent quietly, devouring the In-N-Out we bought when we took our single rest stop, getting into Monte Verde late, but not late enough that the stars started to abandon the sky.

"Angelica?" I called into the dark abyss of our house, placing my house key on the table next to the door, squinting into the entryway.

I got home around three, after Ryder fairly pointed out that even though he'd love to spend the rest of my break with me, it was probably better I spent some time with Angelica, after all, I did abandon her, again, to be alone with our father.

A yawn escaped my lips as I stepped further into the house, pulling my duffel bag off my shoulder and letting it fall to the foot of the stairs with a solid thump, eyes adjusting to the seemingly impenetrable darkness. My feet followed muscle memory into the kitchen flicking on the light absentmindedly as my arm reached out for the fridge handle.

"How was LA?"

I jumped into the air and spun around to face the granite island in the middle of the kitchen, surprised to see Angelica sitting there with a mug of tea in her hands, phone propped on a textbook and the soft noise of a YouTube video reaching my ears.

"What are you doing in the dark?" I countered, still holding my rapidly beating heart.

She yawned. "Couldn't sleep."

I shook my head and opened the fridge, frowning at it's empty contents. "So I'm guessing you didn't cook when I was gone," I peered around the fridge at Angelica's sheepish face.

"Well—you're the cook of the house anyways, I don't really even know how to cook, so I either went over to a friends or ordered in."

Rummaging in the fridge I found a packet of tofu, a red onion, a tomato and an avocado.

Great.

"Have you been sneaking around with my car Angelica?" I pulled out the rather basic and yet surprising ingredients out of the fridge, turning to her with a slight lift of my brow. I wouldn't say I was surprised, but as an older sister, I was concerned for her safety.

Angelica wasn't exactly the best driver...

She blushed and hid her face in her hands. "Ryder and Eros already taught me how to drive Alice!" She complained. "I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to drive if you're not around."