The 💄 App

I walked into my sister Kristie's room and asked if I could borrow her phone.

She was reading a book on her bed. Reading was a hobby of hers. "What's wrong with yours?"

"Mom took it."

"Whatever you did to get yours taken.  .  . again, you probably deserved it. Why should I let you use mine?"

"It'll only take a moment. I just need to send Bianca a message about tonight. Please?"

She exhaled loudly and jerked her thumb, pointing at her phone charging on the nightstand.

I grabbed it off the wireless charger, tapped on Messenger, then on Bianca Sharpe. I left a message that said, It's Cameron. You were wrong. She did ground me for the low grade I made on that history test, so I can't hang out tonight. See you tomorrow night, maybe.

Bianca always made fun of me for not using "text speak", but I just couldn't. It looked stupid like people are always in a hurry and uneducated.

"Why did mom take your phone?" Kristie asked, looking back up from her book.

"I made a D on a history test. She said I gotta read ahead; the next chapter in the book and study the practice questions, so I'm better prepared for class on Monday."

She sighed, "Whatever."

I cleared her phone back to the home screen.

That's when an app I didn't recognize, caught my eye. It wasn't named, it just had a red lipstick logo.  💄

"What's this?"

"You realize I'm not looking at the phone screen, right?"

"Is it some sort of makeup app?"

She had a confused look on her face. "I don't need a makeup app, what the hell are you talk- " she trailed off and turned her attention back to the book she was reading, a romance novel set in the American wild west of the late 1800's.

I was curious. If it was just a simple makeup app, I could goof around and make myself look like a girl for a minute or two before giving her back her phone.

Or so I thought.

No sooner than I had tapped on the app, the phone flew from my hand. I couldn't believe what I was seeing: the phone was just floating in mid-air, facing away from me.

The commotion caught Kristie's attention and she jumped from her bed but didn't go near the phone.

"Why'd you open that up," she screamed.

"What?!"

The flash from the camera blinded me. Had it always been that bright? I rubbed the after image of the room out of my eyes and blinked a couple times.

My eyes were full of water thanks to that flash. The phone landed on Kristie's bed a moment later, giving no indication it had ever been floating in the air in the first place.

Kristie stood there, staring at me. Her eyes wide as saucers; something I hadn't seen since we were kids. She wouldn't take her eyes off of me, which was outrageously concerning.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, and then I clamped a hand over my mouth.

That was not my voice.

I moved my hand a little and sort of whispered, "What are you looking at?"

She grabbed me by the wrist and furiously pulled me in the direction of her closet door mirror.

The sight I took in was breathtaking.