Did You Have Fun At The Arcade?

“May I help you, Miss?”

“Oh….no…that’s okay,” the tom-boyish looking young teenage girl in a baseball cap and no makeup said; smiling nervously at the young woman refolding sweaters on a display rack.

The young woman kindly smiled back and returned to her tasks.

The girl walked over to another rack and picked up a bright teal top; silky, sleeveless and airy. It looked like it would go so well with her unisex style jeans, she thought.

She stared at it for a moment before putting it back; her hands reluctant to release the garment.

Continuing through the store, she moved on to the lingerie area where she stopped to admire all the many different styles of bras on display. She picked one up that caught her eye, and ran her fingers around the edge of the soft molded cups, while lost in thought.

After returning the bra to the display, moved on, until another her gaze was caught by a display of breast enhancing bra inserts. She paused for a moment before becoming aware that she wasn't sure of the time. She only had a short while to shop before she had somewhere to be.

She checked her watch and sighed.

Turning to leave, her left hand brushed against another pile of cool feeling nylon/rayon blend camisoles in a nice variety of colors. Her touch lingered on the tops until she willed herself to walk away.

On her way back toward the store entrance she made a slight detour  in order to get a look at a rack of nulti-layered lacy short skirts she found herself unable to resist.

Yet again she reached out to feel the fabrics, her touch lingering for several seconds.

She let out another sigh, and in her mind began to picture herself wearing one of the skirts, paired with the teal top from earlier.

She looked up and made one final visual sweep across the shop, before dropping her head and continuing towards the exit.

A moment later she was out of that store, heading toward Macy's on the far end of the mall.

After passing several other shops, she stopped and turned back to face the boutique she had just exited. The shop called out to her to return, but she knew she couldn't buy anything in there.

Suddenly, her gaze was interrupted as a woman walked up and stood between her and the store.

"Oh, honey. I’m glad I caught you. I got to Macy's a little early and they went ahead with the interview. I think I got the job. I feel like I did anyway. You’re probably starved. Did you have fun at the arcade? I’ve got to run to the ladies room, so you can go ahead and order lunch for us . . . Sarku’s?"

She began to hastily head toward the restroom, but stopped only a few steps away and turned back around.

"Oh . . . yeah, you need money." Reaching into her purse she pulled out a twenty and a ten.

"Chicken Teriyaki, okay?" She passed the money along.

"Sure, okay. Chicken Teriyaki."

The woman began to walk away again, but then stopped once more.

"Maybe Burger Barn, if you rather?" She began to back away slowly. "That new plant burger if you do. Just pick something. I gotta go. Oh, and I know what you were doing. It wasn't the arcade. The answer is still absolutely not. Get over it."

She turned and hurried away, toward the restrooms, leaving her son with money in his hands; sadness and disappointment once again in his heart.