The Babysitter

I stood there intently listening to the instructions being given to me. This was my first time babysitting for Mr. and Mrs. Jenkinson and I was keen to make a good impression.

Emily, who was only five had to be in bed no later than 7:30. David, who had just turned eight was allowed to stay up an hour later.

"Don't worry Mrs. Jenkinson, I'll look after things here. Everything will be fine. I have your cell phone number, the emergency numbers, and my mom is just upstairs. Don't worry, enjoy your night out."

"Call me if anythi--"

"Susan, stop fussing, I'm sure Chloe has it all under control, and we really need to be going."

"Everything will be fine Mrs. Jenkinson. I promise to look after them as if they were my own flesh and blood. They will be safely tucked up in bed by the time you return. It's not a problem."

I could see Susan leaving her babies with me was proving a little stressful. Especially after the previous babysitter had proven less than satisfactory, spending more time chatting with her boyfriend on the phone than paying any attention to her children.

Finally, with a little more coaxing from her husband, she made it out the door, leaving me alone at last with her little treasures.

Emily may have been only five, but she was confident and playful, her lovely blonde curls and happy smile made her a joy to be around.

Noah, however, was very different. Small for his age, he was quiet and reserved, his own blonde hair emphasizing his pale complexion. He was not a lot of trouble though and very polite, even asking me if he could use the bathroom, which I finally convinced him he didn't need to ask.

I had been doing some babysitting for my next door neighbor and it had been word of mouth that had brought me to Mrs. Jenkinson's attention. So here I was, being trusted with her children.

As babysitting jobs go, it couldn't have been much easier. Emily just loved to play and Noah quietly joined in or kept to himself and read books until both were put to bed.

I sat watching television for the rest of the night until Susan and her husband, Mike, returned.

I could sense the relief she felt seeing her children safely tucked in bed. I had earned her trust and she locked me in for more babysitting in the future, which I was more than happy to do.

It didn't take long for me to grow quite close to the children. I basically became part of the family, even finding myself invited to nights out with them.

I tried not to impose, preferring to let family time be theirs, as they were busy people and I knew their family time was precious.

Emily was always excited to see me, and even Noah in his quiet way looked forward to me coming round.

I had mentioned Noah's quiet nature to Susan, but she put it down to confidence and said that he would come round in his own time.

Emily, as it turned out, was the polar opposite of a tomboy, a real girly girl, she loved nothing more than playing dress up.

I would often see her dancing around in her favorite fairy outfit, and she was especially excited when one night I brought pink glitter polish.

"Now Emily, this is a special maaaaagical nail polish," I explained dramatically, " only for very special fairy princesses."

Emily's face lit up.

"I'm a special fairy princess," she exclaimed, holding out the skirt of her dress as she twirled around.